Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
There's lots of good advice here already but I recommend against thinking too hard about saving/spending decisions and focus instead on income. Increasing earnings will make a bigger difference to your life than controlling expenses. If you are not where you want to be financially and you don't work in a way where you can control your income, focus instead on a career change. But do it before you have kids if you can - those little buggers can kill an appetite for risk, and no risk = no reward.
Agree with this, there is only so much you can reduce your expenses. I'm a little bit slow on the uptake as I'm only getting my butt into gear now number one is on the way!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

This is a bit of an issue for myself at the moment, going through uni and working a lot I rarely saved. I always spent and bought what ever I wanted without giving it too much thought. Lately I have been trying to save with a relatively low income making it difficult as I still have the old mentality of enjoying myself. Ive gotten to an age where I need to have some sort of savings but I means sacrificing things I need cause I consider it "too expensive" these days.

Maybe I should consider a career in sales, it would be a good challenge for myself

Neru, not everyone is suited to direct sales. My brother does well out of it, I could never do it. As an engineer, with some decent experience under your belt and some networking, as a consultant you can be well rewarded. But the hurdle for you is experience. Are all countries as tough as Australia? One thing to consider, the longer you remain an unemployed engineer the harder it will be to get employment. Is further study not an option?

A cousin of mine graduated as an electrical engineer 30 years ago at a time when there wasnt much employment in adelaide. Didn't want to go interstate for work, didn't want to do further study. Managed a 6 month contract at Holden's and the rest of his career was spent working in a Stegbar factory making windows on the production line.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Agree with this, there is only so much you can reduce your expenses. I'm a little bit slow on the uptake as I'm only getting my butt into gear now number one is on the way!
congrats mate. may I suggest the following.

go out every night you can and get rolling drunk. it's a lot harder to go out with babies around, and having a hangover and trying to look after a baby who won't understand the pain and suffering you are going through is very very tough, and will be relentless in the 'needs' department all day every day.

sleep in as many days as possible. once children come, those days are over for a very very long time.

fill each weekend in with activities where you become sick of going out of the house.

you won't realise it yet but you have so much spare time at the moment, spare time will soon disappear.

have sex in as many different rooms or locations as you can. again, once your life changes those opportunities will be limited.

having and raising children is the greatest achievement and the hardest thing you can do I reckon.

Offline Neru

Neru, not everyone is suited to direct sales. My brother does well out of it, I could never do it. As an engineer, with some decent experience under your belt and some networking, as a consultant you can be well rewarded. But the hurdle for you is experience. Are all countries as tough as Australia? One thing to consider, the longer you remain an unemployed engineer the harder it will be to get employment. Is further study not an option?

A cousin of mine graduated as an electrical engineer 30 years ago at a time when there wasnt much employment in adelaide. Didn't want to go interstate for work, didn't want to do further study. Managed a 6 month contract at Holden's and the rest of his career was spent working in a Stegbar factory making windows on the production line.

I've heard that sales isn't for everyone, I do manage corporate conferencing and have improved my abilities of communicating with senior people over the years. Couple of people who have met me have also recommended working in sales stating that its difficult to meet engineers who can talk to strangers comfortably.

As much as I loved doing what I did temporarily I don't want to waste time waiting for the right job while I can do something with decent career pathways. Some countries do have decent career prospects such as Canada but obtaining a work visa without sponsorship is difficult, also the financial aspect of moving without knowing when I will be earning a salary is a bit of a worry. I have also been looking for post-graduate courses and have been thinking of curtin university in perth as they have a lot more industry connections compared to major uni's in melbourne. My biggest worry is ending up in a similar position as your cousin, I have it good in my job at the hotel but I'm gonna resign soon  as I don't want to get to comfortable and stay in a dead end job, hopefully not a job at all will push me harder to find a job.

Once again thanks for the advice Arthur

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

Congrats Cam :-)

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
Correct.

Sales is not for everyone,  however for those that have it, they can make good money.

I have a guy who just turned 21 in May and in his first year with me he has made $110,000.

Another young guy who is 23 and has been in real estate for 4 years, that works for an Agent I know in SA will make $500,000 this year.

You tell me another industry that you can do that if you apply yourself??
May the Horse be with you....

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Correct.

Sales is not for everyone,  however for those that have it, they can make good money.

I have a guy who just turned 21 in May and in his first year with me he has made $110,000.

Another young guy who is 23 and has been in real estate for 4 years, that works for an Agent I know in SA will make $500,000 this year.

Mechanic.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Offline Neru

Correct.

I don't know anyone at my age (23) making that sort of cash, I guess you won't know your potential until you try it out

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Name a mechanic, and what you think their take home pay might be per year....

Well, for example, Joe Viola had a mansion in Doncaster with, so I'm told, lots of marble, granite and gold leaf banisters. You don't get that on (today's equivalent) of $50kpa!

I've heard stories of car collections and houses of others too. Apparently all you need is a silver tongue and well heeled clients.

I love my car. Buy your own