Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I've got 3 properties, 2 of the titles are in a safe deposit box in the bank the other one is with the lawyer.

I'm thinking of putting the lot with the lawyer but how safe are they in solicitors offices ?

Any legal insiders in here ?

Offline M500

If you have no use for the titles (security, etc) I would have thought the bank deposit box would be the safest place for them.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I've got 3 properties, 2 of the titles are in a safe deposit box in the bank the other one is with the lawyer.

I'm thinking of putting the lot with the lawyer but how safe are they in solicitors offices ?

Any legal insiders in here ?

If lost or stolen, can't you get copies from the Lands Titles office?

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I believe you can but I think it is a massive pita

Dosent everyone have a fridge size safe ????
They are fantastic for paperwork and fire rated by the hours. I can't remember the specifics but I was impressed.

Oh yea never keep anything a thief would want in them as I imagine a serious thief would storm in when you are home it at work and force you to open them.

They are great for passports computer back ups paperwork and photo albums ect.

Offline TomE

Most people just leave the mortgage on them . If they ever go missing it is the Banks problem (and cost) to get them reissued.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

My main concern is that people have actually sold other peoples houses without the owner knowing and amazingly I think the new owner has a legal title from what I remember.

Yes you can get a new title from the titles office (I used to work there after I left school) but it is a pain.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Get a bank safe deposit box

Pity the titles have changed. The old ones had much more appeal.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Get a bank safe deposit box

Pity the titles have changed. The old ones had much more appeal.

I've got one.

The girls the lawyers sent to the titles office were stunners, so they could get good service from us public service types.

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

My main concern is that people have actually sold other peoples houses without the owner knowing and amazingly I think the new owner has a legal title from what I remember.

Yes you can get a new title from the titles office (I used to work there after I left school) but it is a pain.

Depends how much you trust your solicitor/conveyancer/law firm. There was a solicitor in Sydney who took out several mortgages using titles he was holding for his clients, and spent the money on himself. Inevitably, some clients needed their titles for their own mortgage/sale purposes. One day, his secretary/someone downstairs let him know that some 'investigators' (forgot which department) were coming up the elevator to see him. He called his firm partner into his office for a drink; said he was in trouble; and then jumped out of the building (his office was high up).

Usually, yes, the new owner or mortgagee would have a clear title if the property was sold by fraud of your solicitor.

Investing in a huge fridge safe may not be so economical...

...so that leaves a bank's safety deposit box.

PS: for those of you whose banks do not hold their title deeds - keep a scanned copy of as many title and mortgage related docs (e.g. Certificate of Title, discharge of mortgage, etc.) in your email/Dropbox/cloud/securely online somewhere; as, in the event the original title is lost, these are usually the first things your state land authority will ask for, to prove ownership.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Quote from: Nobleambitions link=topic=31474.msg730290#msg730290 date=

Investing in a huge fridge safe may not be so economical...

[/quote

Well then put it in your mattress and mount a rifle above the bed with a note.

There is another pointing at your head!

I believe the biggest problem is loss from fire.