Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Depends how much you trust your solicitor/conveyancer/law firm. There was a solicitor in Sydney who took out several mortgages using titles he was holding for his clients, and spent the money on himself. Inevitably, some clients needed their titles for their own mortgage/sale purposes. One day, his secretary/someone downstairs let him know that some 'investigators' (forgot which department) were coming up the elevator to see him. He called his firm partner into his office for a drink; said he was in trouble; and then jumped out of the building (his office was high up).

Usually, yes, the new owner would have a clear title if the property was sold by fraud of your solicitor.

Investing in a huge fridge safe may not be so economical...

...so that leaves a bank's safety deposit box.

PS: for those of you whose banks do not hold their title deeds - keep a scanned copy of as many title and mortgage related docs (e.g. Certificate of Title, discharge of mortgage, etc.) in your email/Dropbox/cloud/securely online somewhere; as, in the event the original title is lost, these are usually the first things your state land authority will ask for, to prove ownership.

Ok good advice.

I'll stick with the bank.

Coincidently I know of someone who defrauded their mothers account while being one of her PA's she forged the signature of the other PA - $100k gone on the pokies.

That person works for a lawyer.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Personally I prefer to have an 80% line of credit against every property each with a different Lender so nothing is cross colateralised with investments etc, I never draw them down, but if ever needed there are funds available on very short notice.

As mentioned above, holding the title is then the banks problem.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Ok good advice.

I'll stick with the bank.

Coincidently I know of someone who defrauded their mothers account while being one of her PA's she forged the signature of the other PA - $100k gone on the pokies.

That person works for a lawyer.
I would like to say I have no hand in this sordid affairs.

Offline TomE

SA laws (and other state) are changing very soon with regards to provision of original Drivers Licences, Birth Certificates and Passports every time you sign transfer or mortgage documents. Some Banks have already implemented the requirements

This should make fraudulently transacting on titles much harder.

However if you were born overseas and adopted an Aussie name you will need to have all your have ID matching up. In the past you just signed a stat dec, but this isn't an option going forward.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Many years ago I had an opposition business burn to ash and he lost everything including all the documents and records. It caused a lot of problems.
I went straight out and bought 5 fire rated document safes that basically look like armoured filing cabinets with safe combination locks. l also bought a massive fire rated gun safe that must weigh 1000Kg plus. They were all bought 2nd hand from ads in Saturday's Age Newspaper from business liquidators. They were very cheap , to the extent that it cost more to move them than buy them in the first place.

l store land titles and other critical documents in those.
l figure with those and the array of other security measures in place to stop the locals breaking in and stealing drugs every other night makes it a safer bet than any lawyers office + most suburban banks.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

and Kerry Packer once thought his gold bullion was safe in his safe

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

and Kerry Packer once thought his gold bullion was safe in his safe

l recall he used to keep a couple of gold bars in an office safe but I don't remember them getting nicked?

Obviously you can get around anything given enough expertise and resources; but even in my sleep deprived state  I can think of 7 different levels of security they would have to get past to get to my  land titles :p

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Hardly seems like an adequate level of security does it?

Offline Richie

• I need Lambo drugs...

• Drives: my wife crazy
I've got 3 properties, 2 of the titles are in a safe deposit box in the bank the other one is with the lawyer.

I'm thinking of putting the lot with the lawyer but how safe are they in solicitors offices ?

Any legal insiders in here ?

Bank's safety box is the safest IMO, all my titles are there and you are right, even my lawyer wouldn't like to take any risk of passing a clear title to my dad the other day unless he has received a state declaration from me because he had got a few crazy cases before (involved big loan sharks).