Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
http://www.tristandc.com/

Not a place you would want to have a medical emergency in......
The cemetary does look lovely though.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
NZ for sure.

Spending two weeks in NZ in May for a surf trip - Gisborne, Mahia Peninsula, Hawkes Bay area, and maybe a bolt to Taranaki, Raglan or Northland if conditions are right.

I've been to NZ 7 times before this. North and South Island. It's a great place.

I could live there easily, but I'd be north island based and visit the spectacular south island when the mood and weather suited me.

I could easily live in the Mentawai Islands but that only suits a surfer. And no cars required, just a decent timber long boat with an outboard or two.

Some central american coastal locations would also be great, depending on safety and stability.
Costa Rica, El Salvador and Nicaragua all have appeal, and striking distance to the big smoke in the US if you want that.
Cheap land, beautiful...scenery, and great surf and swimming beaches. Reasonably good standard of living.

This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline E7ITE

Some central american coastal locations would also be great, depending on safety and stability.
Costa Rica, El Salvador and Nicaragua all have appeal, and striking distance to the big smoke in the US if you want that.
Cheap land, beautiful...scenery, and great surf and swimming beaches. Reasonably good standard of living.

One criteria I have when assessing potential places to live is how strong the system of law is in a place, how well it is enforced and how prone to corruption it is.  This is definitely one thing 99% of Australians take for granted.  All south american countries fail this test for me, which is why IMO south america is great for a holiday but I don't think I'd want to live there.

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

Those who complain about Australia don't know how good they have it, having said that if I had to live anywhere else it would be Japan, clean, civilized and polite what more can you ask for?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

One criteria I have when assessing potential places to live is how strong the system of law is in a place, how well it is enforced and how prone to corruption it is.  This is definitely one thing 99% of Australians take for granted.  All south american countries fail this test for me, which is why IMO south america is great for a holiday but I don't think I'd want to live there.

A large part of our end of Asia would fail the test as well.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

New Zealand.

Was so close to doing it a few years ago

I wish I did it.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Was so close to doing it a few years ago

I wish I did it.

It would be a massive call to move to another country, most people have too many roots.

I could see myself moving away from Melbourne at some point though. This place is going to hell IMO.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Another reason the country is screwed.

Case against alleged ice trafficker Pok Wai Yau collapses after judge rules evidence was bungled

Andrew Dowdell, The Advertiser
an hour ago
Subscriber only

‘Meth is everywhere in Adelaide’
Meth overtakes heroin in South Australia
Sewage analysis reveals ice scourge at record high
Ecstasy, ice becoming the drug of choice in SA
THE prosecution of a man charged with importing 1kg of near-pure methamphetamine has collapsed after a judge ruled out vital evidence from Hong Kong customs officials.

Pok Wai Yau was charged with attempting to import a commercial quantity of methamphetamine in June 2014, after a package was intercepted in Hong Kong bound for an address in Kent Town.

When Yau picked up the package about a week later, the amphetamines had been replaced with another substance by Australian Federal Police and he was arrested soon after.

Yau was to have faced trial in the District Court last year, however his lawyers lodged a challenge against the evidence of six Hong Kong customs officers who handled the package and analysed the contents.

The court heard the package contained almost 1kg of ice with a purity of 99 per cent, which has a potential street value of about $500,000.

Judge Michael Boylan, who was to have presided over the trial, was asked by Yau’s legal team to exclude the evidence of the customs officers because of inconsistencies in their statements, which had been translated from Cantonese to English.

Yau relied on four inconsistencies in the evidence of the officers, which his lawyers claimed had broken the traditional chain of evidence and left doubts as to whether the crystal substance was actually methamphetamine.

They argued no details of the method of testing were given and that statements did not reveal whether the weight of the substance included the bag it was held in.

The court also heard there were inconsistencies between times given for when the parcel was handled by various customs officers and there was no explanation for what happened to the parcel during a six-hour period.

In making his ruling on whether to admit the Hong Kong evidence, Judge Boylan noted that if it were to be excluded, the case against Yau would likely collapse.

“Without clarification from the relevant witnesses in Hong Kong, those inconsistencies raise doubts about whether or not the substance examined ... was the substance found in the package,” Judge Boylan found.

“There is no opportunity to know what is the likelihood of some interference with, or innocent mistaken dealing with, the white substance.”

Judge Boylan said the prosecution case, as it stood, could not prove beyond reasonable doubt the substance was ice, noting the Director of Public Prosecutions had not endeavoured to clarify the inconsistencies before the case reached trial.

“It seems to me that it would not have been too difficult a task for the prosecution to seek clarification of the apparent inconsistencies in the statement,” he found.

Judge Boylan directed the jury to acquit Yau because of the ruling, and the Full Court of the Supreme Court last week backed his decision.

Justice Malcolm Blue found that the prosecution’s failure to put evidence rebutting the doubts raised by Yau meant the ruling could not be overturned, while Justices Sam Doyle and Greg Parker agreed.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
I took the family to London for 10 years.  Kids were 1 and 3 at the time. Wife loved it - shopping wise, and as a family we could go out for Italian -  fly into Pisa have a nice lunch and dinner and fly home for bed. I worked in over twenty countries during that time - USA, Euroland, Middle East, Africa, Asia, made lots of international friends and learnt plenty about in-country politics.  Came to the decision that Adelaide is the best spot in the world. No one knows where it is, no traffic, beaches are the best, and all in all a stress free environment. Okay we don't have any power or jobs to hand around, but it keeps the interstaters away.  Sorted. 
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Correct. My wifes sister now lives there, and just moved into a new apartment which is around that mark.

I was born in Switzerland and have been back a few times now, love the place but still not sure I would want to live there. Perhaps for a year for something different, but not permanently. As per a few other posts, I love Australia and enjoy the lifestyle too much to risk starting somewhere new.

I just happen to have a swiss passport. I'm not sure if I'd live there or not, but actually, if you move out of the big cities just a little bit property prices are very reasonable (compared to here)....and even then, you're STILL really close to everywhere.

I love my car. Buy your own