Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

At $600/hr it doesn't take long to get to $18k, trust me! Then they charge for photo copies and faxes etc.  As Scud said, milk, milk, milk.

in this situation they really are just a  spokesperson for my requests, I can't see why I can't do it myself. 

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Un bite tongue. :)

At $600/hr it doesn't take long to get to $18k, trust me! Then they charge for photo copies and faxes etc.  As Scud said, milk, milk, milk.

Bite tongue again. :)

entitled arseholes IME
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline j15

If you guys didn't make so many mistakes you wouldn't need lawyers fixing them for you :D

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
If you guys didn't make so many mistakes you wouldn't need lawyers fixing them for you :D
You still need them when you are buying or selling a business amongst other things. 

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Rang mine yesterday about an issue, he said "give me some time and I'll get back to you", last time he said that it's like giving an open cheque, I told him to hold off until I was sure I needed him.

Offline 98octane

The legal industry is extremely competitive. If you don't like your lawyer's service or fees, find another one.  Most of transactional lawyers like me work under fixed or capped fee arrangements.  That trend will spread to most areas of law.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

The legal industry is extremely competitive. If you don't like your lawyer's service or fees, find another one.  Most of transactional lawyers like me work under fixed or capped fee arrangements.  That trend will spread to most areas of law.

If we just had accurate quotes up front or regular updates it would be better than bill shock.

Offline app

What I've observed from too many lawyers is they create work for themselves, even if it's against the client's interest. I.e. go overboard with advice already being given or go on a tangent and turn it into something more complicated than it needs to be.

While not confined to law but IMO professional fees for professional firms generally are far too high compared the cost of other goods and services in Australia.

Offline j15

I agree Luke, but my experience is that hourly rates are still quite high (particularly for litigation). The work is often complex, time critical, and requires people with a high level of expertise and education but yet it's hard to find value in the service a lot of the time.

Offline j15

What I've observed from too many lawyers is they create work for themselves, even if it's against the client's interest. I.e. go overboard with advice already being given or go on a tangent and turn it into something more complicated than it needs to be.

While not confined to law but IMO professional fees for professional firms generally are far too high compared the cost of other goods and services in Australia.

I see the point, but if you don't cover all the ground when advising then everyone is more exposed.