Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

So now you are our knowledgable resident drunk.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
How was it?

Details, please!

It's fantastic - every week you try about a dozen wines from around the world, the teacher has loads of knowledge about the regions they're from and typically lots of fun stories about tours in the area, you learn loads about distinct varietels, great assistance on identifying flavours on the nose of wine and colours and maturation etc...

Wine overall is such an enormous topic, I love it!  I could do this course one night a week indefinately learning about wines around the world - I'm no wine snob I'll drink goon if I have to, but I love learning about this stuff, it's fascinating.

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
It's fantastic - every week you try about a dozen wines from around the world, the teacher has loads of knowledge about the regions they're from and typically lots of fun stories about tours in the area, you learn loads about distinct varietels, great assistance on identifying flavours on the nose of wine and colours and maturation etc...

Wine overall is such an enormous topic, I love it!  I could do this course one night a week indefinately learning about wines around the world - I'm no wine snob I'll drink goon if I have to, but I love learning about this stuff, it's fascinating.

Awesome... sounds like you really enjoyed it  :thumbsup:

I've spent a lot of time with wine - I was foolish enough to quit a geological engineering degree in 2002 to start studying wine, and whilst I still don't have my useless wine degree I'm a Qualified Wine Judge (tm)(C). The stuff I did was fairly intense, and I'd like to take it further - perhaps Master of Wine - but while I have or can get the tasting experience I'm still working on the commercial experience I need to undertake the course.

I reckon everyone with even a small interest in wine should do some kind of course - entry level, intermediate, or if they have the experience the judging course I did was awesome but exceedingly tough. There's always more to learn, more to taste...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

So now you are our knowledgable resident drunk.

This was my 3rd wine course - another nearly 50 wines under the belt, or over....

I still feel I know so little, but hey what an education regime! :D

Oh - as an additional note, at the end of the night you get a pick from a dozen bottles of half-full wine to take home, tonight I have a Sonoma County (California) Zinfandel - rare to see US wines here, and it was actually my favourite of the evening.  Retails at $44, I recommend drinking it with a fairly strong appetiser as it's a "big" wine, but personally I don't think it's a dinner wine.  Would go well with marinated portobello mushies, salty olives, or a couple chunks of spit roast lamb with tzatziki.

Offline Steve.

California zinfandel... what's the alcohol on that?  :melting:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I reckon everyone with even a small interest in wine should do some kind of course - entry level, intermediate, or if they have the experience the judging course I did was awesome but exceedingly tough. There's always more to learn, more to taste...

Frankly I think there's a real niche missing here - this was a great course, but I'm left feeling there's more that can be done for the right market - effectively this course is more tailored toward people who are actually IN the wine industry - whereas I'm simply doing it for personal knowledge and enjoyment.

If there enough wine-buffs and wanna-be's around Adelaide on here I think it'd be good to setup a monthly session where we have a pro teacher, a dozen wines, relaxed atmosphere, and also add in the element of gourmet food matching, or at least tapas to go with it all.

One of the things with this course is they supply only water and wafers with the wine - but we spend half the time talking about what kind of food the wine we're drinking would be great with!

I'd love to attend an evening of trying a bunch of decent international wines, getting loads of info on them, and also munging out on a variety of mini-meals.

If I organised something like that - with a professional wine "teacher" or whatever - would we get enough attendance?  Off top of my head without doing real sums, I think for 10 people, the evening might cost $120-150 a head, for that you'd get a dozen "nips" (well, half glasses) of good wine, loads of great nibbles of food, and heaps of good info - not to mention a fun night out.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

15.4% - yeah it's pretty heavy, but it has the character to carry it nicely without overwhelming too much - but definitely not a "drinking" wine, needs a platter of interesting tidbits to match it.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

OMG...  Just thought I'd google some varietel stuff cos I feel like reading more about it, first result on google is wikipedia, and the main image is the actual wine I'm talking about - but different vintage! (I think...)

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Frankly I think there's a real niche missing here - this was a great course, but I'm left feeling there's more that can be done for the right market - effectively this course is more tailored toward people who are actually IN the wine industry - whereas I'm simply doing it for personal knowledge and enjoyment.

If there enough wine-buffs and wanna-be's around Adelaide on here I think it'd be good to setup a monthly session where we have a pro teacher, a dozen wines, relaxed atmosphere, and also add in the element of gourmet food matching, or at least tapas to go with it all.

One of the things with this course is they supply only water and wafers with the wine - but we spend half the time talking about what kind of food the wine we're drinking would be great with!

I'd love to attend an evening of trying a bunch of decent international wines, getting loads of info on them, and also munging out on a variety of mini-meals.

If I organised something like that - with a professional wine "teacher" or whatever - would we get enough attendance?  Off top of my head without doing real sums, I think for 10 people, the evening might cost $120-150 a head, for that you'd get a dozen "nips" (well, half glasses) of good wine, loads of great nibbles of food, and heaps of good info - not to mention a fun night out.

Ive done courses where you have food to go with the wine and it is an infinitely better learning experience and experience in general.

Id be keen on some more wine tasting, its been so long since i have actually done proper wine tasting and I feel im losing the knowledge i had :(

Steve, when you did the tastings at the Uni, did they bring out the French Dessert wines? Some of the stupidly expensive stuff? Those Dessert wines were amazing, pity i cant afford them!
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline Steve.

Steve, when you did the tastings at the Uni, did they bring out the French Dessert wines? Some of the stupidly expensive stuff? Those Dessert wines were amazing, pity i cant afford them!
I think we did look at sauternes at university, and we definitely did during the AWRI course. We had a mini vertical of D'Yquem - but that paled in comparison to some of the phenomenally expensive, super-rare German botrytis wines we also tasted in the same bracket. Absolutely amazing, but I'm happy with my $10 Miranda and another South East Asia trip this year!