Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I know it's probably not the right audience, but I thought i'd ask in case anyone knows.

do any of you know what the rules are surrounding purchasing a written off car and trying to get it re-registered?

the reason I ask is that I'm in need of a commercial vehicle, and figured I'd get myself a VW caddy.  But rather than just having an invisible POS van, i might make a bit of a project out of it and have a bit of fun in the process. In turn I was thinking to buy a stacked in the front Caddy, and then re panel it with a Golf R front etc and make it look a little cooler.

Of course it would be silly to do this on a $20k van, but i figure if i can get one that's been shunted on the front for about $5k and then spend $5-10K making it awesome, it could make for fun project.

anyway, so to summarise, does anyone know if it's possible to re-register a car that's been financially written off? or is a write off completely unsalvageable as far as rego goes?

Cheers

Looney

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

In a word, don't do it!!!!

If it's a Stat write off, like in NSW, there is no chance.

If it's a repairable write off, the repairs have to be engineered and inspected for correct method of repair.

Once this is done and the vehicle is re-rego'ed, it goes on the list. You will basically be the last owner of it.

As for the mods, I am not sure how that will worK with the engineering.

Online looney

In a word, don't do it!!!!

If it's a Stat write off, like in NSW, there is no chance.

If it's a repairable write off, the repairs have to be engineered and inspected for correct method of repair.

Once this is done and the vehicle is re-rego'ed, it goes on the list. You will basically be the last owner of it.

As for the mods, I am not sure how that will worK with the engineering.

Hmmmmm.  Either way I figure id be the last owner irrespective as it will be a hack to cart crap around I was just thinking it may have been a fun project.

So to the point. Who decides if it's a statutory or repairable write off?

Offline schmik325

Yes its possible in Qld as long as the car is recorded as a repairable write off. Stat write offs cannot be reregistered and are basically parts value only.

AFAIK, the vehicle needs to be repaired back to standard. You even have to show tax invoices for the parts used so they know they aren't stolen.

Its not worth it really. They are hard to sell when the time comes as the history stays with the car.

You'd be better off getting one thats a bit beaten up but is none the less ok, or find one thats been smashed with no insurance (no recorded history)

Offline schmik325

Hmmmmm.  Either way I figure id be the last owner irrespective as it will be a hack to cart crap around I was just thinking it may have been a fun project.

The ins co's decide, and its not reversible

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You're in QLD yes?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

AFAIK, the vehicle needs to be repaired back to standard. You even have to show tax invoices for the parts used so they know they aren't stolen.

You must show invoices from the repairer as well..............you can't do it yourself now days.

Online looney

Just buy this, its been done haha.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east-tamworth/cars-vans-utes/2005-volkswagen-caddy-van-minivan/1108489332

120k's  I'm thinking of something a bit better than that.

Was just thinking to do something like this.

But by the sound of im guessing it's going to be too much of a PITA might as well just buy an invisible one then.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The ins co's decide, and its not reversible

The assessor decides if it's so severely damaged that it should not be repaired.

There is a new policy coming soon that parts from a Stat write off will no longer be able to be used to repair other vehicles.