Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
The assessor decides if it's so severely damaged that it should not be repaired.

There is a new policy coming soon that parts from a Stat write off will no longer be able to be used to repair other vehicles.

Wow if that doesn't seem like an extremely thinly veiled excuse to let manufacturers sell parts I don't know what does.  I.e. why would a set of tail lights or quarter panels not be OK to re use?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Wow if that doesn't seem like an extremely thinly veiled excuse to let manufacturers sell parts I don't know what does.  I.e. why would a set of tail lights or quarter panels not be OK to re use?

Only going to be for Stat write offs. It came about due to used parts such as Airbags, seatbelts, etc, etc being used to repair other cars and failing. I'm not sure how they will be able to police the use of things like tail lights for example. But now days, anything that needs a new 1/4 panel would be written off.

Offline schmik325

The assessor decides if it's so severely damaged that it should not be repaired.

There is a new policy coming soon that parts from a Stat write off will no longer be able to be used to repair other vehicles.

They'll just ship them overseas like Hilux's and most Toyota bits atm

Offline looney

Only going to be for Stat write offs. It came about due to used parts such as Airbags, seatbelts, etc, etc being used to repair other cars and failing. I'm not sure how they will be able to police the use of things like tail lights for example. But now days, anything that needs a new 1/4 panel would be written off.

That was what I was looking at.  If I wanted to replace the front end panels I figured it would make sense to buy a car that needed it replaced anyway.

Offline schmik325

Hardly, i see qtr panels being changed on a daily basis. The panel shops are repairing a lot more these days too, especially when in quiet times.

Offline schmik325

That was what I was looking at.  If I wanted to replace the front end panels I figured it would make sense to buy a car that needed it replaced anyway.

Theres also a $435 fee and a 3-4 week wait to get the car 'reinspected', ready for rego.

The auctions are also charging around 12.5% buyer fee on the hammer price of salvage cars too.

Its a mugs game

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

120k's  I'm thinking of something a bit better than that.

Was just thinking to do something like this.

But by the sound of im guessing it's going to be too much of a PITA might as well just buy an invisible one then.

QLD has the least PITA processes when repairing a write off, that's why a lot of dodgy guys I know buy them and repair them up there, get them rego'ed up there and then sell them in other states.

It's do-able but keep in mind you will need to do it through a repairer and they will need to be OK with doing the mods.

I know some of the dodgy guys who do the write offs, I can ask if you like......   :p

Offline schmik325

I know guys who will bog and paint a hail car for $1k

haha

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hardly, i see qtr panels being changed on a daily basis. The panel shops are repairing a lot more these days too, especially when in quiet times.

Your insurance company's must be letting a lot more through up there than they do down here then................quiet times????? That's unheard of down here in the repair shops!

Offline looney

Sounds like a bit of a pain. I was thinking g maybe a weekend tinker project but seems too difficult. I may just stick to my normal tinkering hobbies and buy an invisible car and just put some wheels on it and drop it.