Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I've seen Harris use a suction mounted dslr for internal video and I'm sure I've seen them use gopro for external. Considering Harris makes an industry out of videos they probably have different go to kits they use depending on location car and available time.

Gopro is quick and easy but no comparison to what Dave is capturing. Not to mention it gives him greater flexibility in post.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
externally mounted with remote servo control to pan and tilt it whilst the car is moving

Offline dkabab

I've seen Harris use a suction mounted dslr for internal video and I'm sure I've seen them use gopro for external. Considering Harris makes an industry out of videos they probably have different go to kits they use depending on location car and available time.

Gopro is quick and easy but no comparison to what Dave is capturing. Not to mention it gives him greater flexibility in post.

What he said ^^^^

Go pros are good for quick use. And relatively cheap. A gopro plus a suction cup is $400.
My mount is $600 plus a $3000 camera. Not feasible for someone trying to make money on a budget.

I want to do this for the best quality and tell a story. It will take longer, cost more but have better results. Hopefully. But it could easily be adapted for car reviews. If that's what your thinking.....

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

What he said ^^^^

Go pros are good for quick use. And relatively cheap. A gopro plus a suction cup is $400.

for what they are i think they are expensive.  Thats why I'm still stuck on GoPro2

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Personally, I'd copy what Evo and Harris do because it seems to work and it must be quick to mount/dismount because they have extreme time pressure on them when they shoot.  But I guess it depends on what you are aiming to achieve.

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com

Offline dkabab

Personally, I'd copy what Evo and Harris do because it seems to work and it must be quick to mount/dismount because they have extreme time pressure on them when they shoot.  But I guess it depends on what you are aiming to achieve.

with a lot of experience under my belt, i could perform a car photoshoot in 20 mins, however with time permitting, i will take longer to make sure i get the best results.

at the moment i am learning/teaching myself video. luckily i know cameras back to front so i don't have to re-learn much there, its more techniques that I'm teaching myself.

the cameras they use, are as much as identical to what I'm using, just different brands. no big deal.
using a go pro can save time, but the results aren't as good as they could be.

the results i want are more short film style, not reporting. Think of go pros to film making like a compact camera is to an SLR.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
What kind of speed are your mounts rated to Dave, they look very nicely made?

Offline dkabab

What kind of speed are your mounts rated to Dave, they look very nicely made?

they sure are its such an easy rig to setup as well. takes about 1 minute to setup.

i don't know what speed they are rated to, too many variables. But I've read many reviews of people using them up over 200kph.
i don't plan on using them at that speed, but its handy to know.

I have used a cheaper go pro suction cup (albeit with a lighter camera) on a car at 280kph and it stayed on no problems...

each suction cup is rated to a 15kg, but you could quite easily push a car with one... so I'm sure thats a bit more than 15kg of lateral force.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

the results i want are more short film style, not reporting. Think of go pros to film making like a compact camera is to an SLR.

Yes, that makes sense.  I watch youtubes of my favourite cars on my TV and there is some much amateur content with guys who want to be the next Jeremy Clarkson.  The car video report seems to be a crowded market.