Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
HI guys
I am looking at getting a new camera what is the one to get. I have not bought one in 8 years so am completely out of touch.
I am intending to use it as a point and shoot as well as some actual photography.
I do want a slr
so the questions
What camera?
how many and what lenses?

now do not go to crazy with budget :thumbsup:

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
HI guys
I am looking at getting a new camera what is the one to get. I have not bought one in 8 years so am completely out of touch.
I am intending to use it as a point and shoot as well as some actual photography.
I do want a slr
so the questions
What camera?
how many and what lenses?

now do not go to crazy with budget :thumbsup:

How much do you have to spend?
C'mon, do it!

Offline dkabab

What do you want from the camera? 
Entry level slr's range from 600-1200 mid range from 1200-2300
there are benefits of multiple lenses, as there are with lenses that will do it all.
If you want to play with the latest cameras or get some face to face advice, pm me.

Offline app

What do you want from the camera? 
Entry level slr's range from 600-1200 mid range from 1200-2300
there are benefits of multiple lenses, as there are with lenses that will do it all.
If you want to play with the latest cameras or get some face to face advice, pm me.

not intending to hijack the topic here but may help brenton...

i need to pick some lens on my newly acquired slr...
have no idea where to start...i'm just clicking away at anything that looks interesting - both close up and long distance
all in one lens perhaps? good/bad?

Offline dkabab

A big zoom (18-200) or similar gives you a large range of focal lengths, but can be at a compromise to the quality. It will be good at doing it all, but not amazing at any particular task.
Of course if you're traveling or just after versitility from the camera, a big zoom makes more sense.

Offline app

A big zoom (18-200) or similar gives you a large range of focal lengths, but can be at a compromise to the quality. It will be good at doing it all, but not amazing at any particular task.
Of course if you're traveling or just after versitility from the camera, a big zoom makes more sense.

i see, thanks for the info
if i had two sets...say 18-55 and 55-200 would that improve the quality over having 18-200?

Offline dkabab

The 18-55 and 55-200 you speak of I'm assuming are the 'kit' lenses. There are some cases where these kit lenses are actually pretty good, but generally speaking, they are c grade lenses, 17-85 is decent.  In your case, I'm sure doctor will have a better insight, but look into the canon ef usm lenses. Their L series are the a grade lenses, but they generally start at $1400ish for say a 17-40 f4 and a 70-200 f2.8 at around $2500

Offline M500

I just upgraded to the Cannon EOS 550d twin lens kit for general shooting of my daughter, etc.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I was tinking of about $3000 - $4000 in total

I used a friends
http://www.olympus.com.au/component/option,com_product/id,347/Itemid,69/task,spec/
but I don't know if it will be good enough for anything other than a good point and shoot.
I do like the look of it. (imagine a guy on an exotic car forum liking something because it is good looking)

The 550d looks great also

a mate said DSLR D5000

Is it a better idea to buy the camera seperate from the lenses so that way you can get exactly what i am after or are the twin lense kits a bargain?

Offline dkabab

the ep-1 is a cool camera, but not what you're after. it doesnt even have a flash :doh:

550d is a much better idea than a d5000. if i were you and looking at nikon or canon, id be comparing the 550d with the d90. depends on what you want from the camera, but the 550d is probably going to be the better choice. so you can buy body only and then say a 17-40 L or 24-105 L to go with it for roughly $2600 - 3000. this would give you a perfect setup of a really good camera, and really great lenses.
memory cards are around $50-$100, bags around $50-$300, Tripod $200-$600, filters $40-$100

the other body choice is the 50d. at the moment they have come down in price drastically and are now cheaper than the 550d body only. while not having video or 18mp, its 15mp and in a pro spec body, still has automatic for when you cant be bothered, but its much easier to use than the smaller bodied cameras as there are more buttons for quick changing of settings.

also, was chatting with the nikon rep yesterday, and she mentioned a new body was to be announced next month, to sit somewhere inbetween the d90 and the d300s. dont know any more than that. BUT it might be worth considering....