Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
i'm really happy with my ex-dingo Canon Powershot S2 IS, but i'm starting to think i'd like more megapixels.  the rest of the functionality is great though... 12x optical zoom, the super-swivelly LCD, and the instant video mode in very good quality (640x480 @ 30fps) while still being able to take pictures are all top priorities for me. 

also the fact that it's light for what it is and so not a hassle to just carry around everywhere, as noted in tassie.  i loved playing with the SLRs and stuff, but i can't imagine using them for anything but a proper posed photoshoot, just too bulky.

Beama, how much did you pick up your S3 for?  i hear that has 6mp and a larger LCD.  how's it going with it so far?

anyone know of anything comparable?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

my boss is selling his Canan EOS 350D (i think that's what it's called), any thoughts on that one?

Offline waz356

i'll buy the S2 off you if you trade up

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com
my boss is selling his Canan EOS 350D (i think that's what it's called), any thoughts on that one?

350D is a proper DSLR and what I'm using currently - it would go against your wish for a small/lightweight camera. Also you usually have more than one lens which definately doesn't make it "portable".

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

350D is a proper DSLR and what I'm using currently - it would go against your wish for a small/lightweight camera. Also you usually have more than one lens which definately doesn't make it "portable".

yeah, i thought about it for a while considering some setup shots and whatnot... but really i'm not *that* interested, so yeah i'll stick with the current type of camera, but might upgrade to the S5 IS, much the same, only more of it. :)

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

Ash, can you find out details from your boss on price and whats included with the 350D?

A mate is interested in one and none for sale locally that I know of.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ash, can you find out details from your boss on price and whats included with the 350D?

A mate is interested in one and none for sale locally that I know of.

well, the price "for me" was ~$500 bucks, but he sort of made that up on the spot when i asked so he might want more after thinking about it or researching ebay, dunno.  he's keeping all his lenses etc as they fit the new camera he's bought, so not sure what else would come with it.

bump this on monday and i'll ask him.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

hey you fergot to bump it... heh. 

just spoke to him, it's just the basic camera - 350D - no lenses, comes with a neck-strap and 512 CF card, no bag.  $500 bucks.

lemme know if he wants it, i'll put you's in touch - or you can deal through me if that's easier.  can send you a link to his flickr account if you want to look through some of the pics.

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

Hehe thanks. Its for a mate, Iíll see him on the weekend and have a word with him about it Ė donít know how serious he is. Iíll get back to you.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

i'll buy the S2 off you if you trade up

I've just bought another camera - the S5 IS which is basically just a bigger version of the S2.

only S2 on ebay starts at $300, so you can have this one for $250 including a 2gb card, polarising filter and UV lenses, 4 batts + the cords and stuff.  I'll try and find the manual too... never read it really though :o  If you need the charger you can have that too, but if you already have a batt charger then there's no point.

so if you're still interested it's yours when my new one is delivered.