Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Not me specifically - but thought it might be interesting to discuss how you go about charging for snapping - say as a general hobbyist for the occasional gig.

Offline 98octane

Yes, very interested in ideas.  Do you charge by the hour or per image or set of images?  If by the hour, do you include processing time?  For example, I know a few local motorsport/events photography websites charge $25+ per JPG.

Offline dkabab

Bit of a missunderstood trade... Many assume because it's digital it doesn't cost you a cent to take the photo... They forget about the $15k of camera gear you use to take that free photo.

Then there's time taken, transport costs, time off work (rallies etc)

and on top of that, the cost for your skill.

Now having said all that, it's very hard to get people to pay/buy. I offer my photographical snapping skills to people on here for nothing, or leave it in their court to donate something to my camera fund.
I'm not too fussed by that because it adds to my portfolio and I get to experience these awesome vehicles...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Who would you charge?  AE for publishing your pics? If you get them published in a magazine, you'd get paid. Getting published is the challenge.

Posters and calendars are another way of getting paid for your work.

Just shooting and uploading won't see you making any money surely?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Who would you charge?

Well the thing I had in mind initially is for specific photoshoot requests etc - it just came up as I've referred a Melbourne client who needs some premises and feature photos - and neither the client nor the AE'tographer have much of an idea of where to start...

Offline dkabab

Who would you charge?  AE for publishing your pics? If you get them published in a magazine, you'd get paid. Getting published is the challenge.

Posters and calendars are another way of getting paid for your work.

Just shooting and uploading won't see you making any money surely?

the person requesting your services...
I get a lot of people from motorsport events wanting photos of themselves, but don't want to pay a cent. It's almost a waste of time, if I didn't enjoy it.... Which I do

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com
I charge a set fee for the entire shoot, which covers my processing time too. The client then gets a copy of the final images in high-res (only low res is uploaded to my website).

If its for a magazine or similar then again its a set fee which we have agreed upon.

I often get contacted by people who wish to use a single photo for something, for which I charge a usage fee with strict guidelines written out on exactly how/where/when they can use it.

As mentioned above I used to do alot of shoots for free (and still do sometimes depending on the situation) purely for the love of the cars. I would NEVER take a photo of a person or landscape for free though!  :o

Offline tdc911

the person requesting your services...
I get a lot of people from motorsport events wanting photos of themselves, but don't want to pay a cent.
I personally do not have a problem with this, why should the drivers have to pay?

Offline 98octane

I charge a set fee for the entire shoot, which covers my processing time too. The client then gets a copy of the final images in high-res (only low res is uploaded to my website).

If its for a magazine or similar then again its a set fee which we have agreed upon.

I often get contacted by people who wish to use a single photo for something, for which I charge a usage fee with strict guidelines written out on exactly how/where/when they can use it.

As mentioned above I used to do alot of shoots for free (and still do sometimes depending on the situation) purely for the love of the cars. I would NEVER take a photo of a person or landscape for free though!  :o

So I assume you keep all IP in all images you take and just give clients a limited licence to use the images.  In the case of clients who paid for a shoot, they can use the pics for anything.  One-off users get a limited licence to use the pic.  Has anyone ever breached your terms?

Offline 98octane

I personally do not have a problem with this, why should the drivers have to pay?

Because it's consideration for your time at the track and investment in your camera kit (and time off work etc).  It'd be different if you were already being paid by the event organiser to take and distribute your pics.