Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
i've taken and shared millions of photos, as have many Aussie Exotics members such as dingo, chewy, tdc and finny.

i'm always happy to give the originals to those who provided me with the opportunity to take a great photo, along with anyone i know personally and many folk i just enjoy talking to on the interwebs, but what do folks think about putting hi-res and un-watermarked stuff on the internet in general?

i'm not a professional photographer by any stretch, and even though i've taken some pretty decent shots in my time nobody has ever bought a photo from me so it's not as if sharing my hi-res stuff has any effect on my income.

a few months back i put up ONE hi-res pic amongst a dozen screen-size pics (all with faint watermark), a few days later i found copies of that pic around the web with my watermark smudged out.  only reason i found it is because someone who saw it recognised the cars and where i'd posted them on this site and so i saw the links coming in.  i was just basically confused about this, why would you do that?

generally i put up 1200px size with a tasteful watermark, big enough as a desktop for most screens, and personally with the number of pics i see i actually LIKE having unobtrusive watermarks on the pic so i can trace it back to it's origin when i eventually forget where it came from.

anyhoo, what do other folks think about putting hi-res/original pics on the web?

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
This is something I've been wrestling with as well in the last month or so since I started my new online gallery (I'd ended up with 3, so I'm trying to consolidate!).

Whilst people have paid me to do photo shoots, I also wouldn't call myself a professional photographer.

At the end of the day, those who really want to rip off your photos will remove or smudge a watermark if its there, so its kind of like "why bother?".

And a watermark in a place that is hard to remove is likely to also be in a place that spoils the photo. :boggled:

But like you said about it being a reminder of where it came from, those who aren't wanting to do the wrong thing will probably value it being there.

I'm interested to know what others think too.

Offline 98octane

It all depends on what your purpose is: if you're a professional/commercial photographer, then it's essential to place irremovable watermarks on your digital pics to protect your intellectual property and your business.  However, if you're a hobbyist, does it really matter if your photos are shared around the net?  Of course it's important to have your photo attributed to you, but even if it's not, does it really matter?  You suffer no real loss except if someone then sells the rights to your photo and pockets the money.  As dingo knows, this does happen, but IMO very rarely compared to the number of pics posted.  Apart from your own enjoyment of photography and the results, there is real satisfaction in taking great pics to share them with others and to perceive their appreciation of your skills.  However, the net is so immense that it's virtually impossible to view every repost of your pics and read the comments etc.  You simply can't know where and when they'll be reproduced.  My conclusion is that unless you've a financial stake or you're pretty keen to protect your IP, the risks of posting hi-def original pics are irrelevant so using watermarks is unnecessary.

I note that I've posted close to 1000 pics on different sites (all rights reserved but without using watermarks) and a handful of people have sought my permission and given consideration for using the pictures on their websites or in printed publications.  I didn't post for the reason of making money, so all I receive is a bonus.  It's impossible to know if the revenue from the pics would be higher if I had used watermarks.

Offline 265T

i've always been into photography - ever since i was a kid, but i've never been too serious about it, it's always been point, click & hope i get a decent photo, i have NO idea about the technical side & settings etc

a couple of months ago after seeing Ash's Tassie pics & drooling over all his pics in the past, i decided to upgrade my 3mp sony compact for a Canon EOS 400D with twin lens kit :D

in the past i've always given a copy of my pics to someone if i've taken some of their car & will usually post up a few small pics on the forums,

i've noticed pics that i've taken turning up on other forums tho & almost everyone i know has at least one of my pics on their myspace - thing is i've never given the pics to the people that are posting them :rolleyes: so watermarks are something i've been considering lately, especially now that i have a decent camera & am going to get a bit more serious about it, as has been said it's a great way of tracing the pic back & it's nice to recieve a bit of recognition where it came from  :cool:

as for posting hi res stuff, it's is nice to find a pic suitable to use as a desktop, i've used some from here in the past & i have to agree that people who enjoy the photos will respect the watermark & those with ulterior motives will remove it no matter what

now that i have my camera i'm looking at doing some courses to learn how to use it. Ash did you take any classes or are you self taught?

(don't worry - i'm not trying to cut your lunch  :p)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

no schooling, i'm much like you just point and shoot, i still haven't bothered to figger out the settings on the camera, i just look at millions of other people's photos that i really like and have gotten to know what angles look good, then i just take lots of pics and get a few half decent ones out of it. :)

if you're starting to take more pics just register a domain name for like $10 bucks and get some cheap hosting so you can put at least your website address on the pic.  i for one often randomly come across pics i like and when it has an address on it i go there looking for more.

Offline 265T

i've been reading what i can on the net & experimenting, still don't understand anything tho  :o

i'm really impressed with your angles, that's what i'm lacking atm - all artistic ability  :(

how about setting up a photography thread to post pics in? i'd love some feedback & would love to see others pics (not just cars)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

how about setting up a photography thread to post pics in? i'd love some feedback & would love to see others pics (not just cars)

good idea, done.

---> http://aussieexotics.com/forum/off-topic/photography-school-class-is-in-t523.0.html

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

sheesh, just wanted to check out some pics from the latest Event's O'Neill drive day, this might be taking things a bit too far - guess they have their reasons...

---> http://www.jpmphoto.com.au/Galleries/burrows_drive_days/26_09_07/index.htm