Offline 265T

at least they didn't smudge your watermark i guess?

Offline Laminator

• https://www.facebook.com/photoesel/

I'm sick of people putting tiny watermarks on the bottom-right of their photos and then whinging someone has got rid of the watermark and stolen them. Easy fixed, it is so easy to crop off a Watermark. Just about any Windows/Mac/Linux application will let you crop off portions off photos. So when someone says that someone has portrayed their photo as their own when it really belongs to them, that is bull. Put a watermark over the middle. That will stop the fuckers.

Thanks,

Sean.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I doubt there's much of a problem with people going and claiming my photos as theirs, in the end I'm happy for people to want to share my photos with others - that's why I take them and have set up some simple and obvious options in the gallery that just need a copy/paste.  So I'm not going to ruin them and make people not want to share them by having a big ugly watermark across the middle.

Using them in an eBay ad is borderline rude - I'm not fussed in this latest occasion though, just amused. :p

Offline waz356

I'm sick of people putting tiny watermarks on the bottom-right of their photos and then whinging someone has got rid of the watermark and stolen them. Easy fixed, it is so easy to crop off a Watermark. Just about any Windows/Mac/Linux application will let you crop off portions off photos. So when someone says that someone has portrayed their photo as their own when it really belongs to them, that is bull. Put a watermark over the middle. That will stop the fuckers.

Thanks,

Sean.

That's all well and good, but be VERY careful posting other peoples pictures on an internet forum without crediting where the pictures came from. There were several issues on Ferrarichat not too long ago that went into copyright law. Do a search and beware. One of the people here got caught up in the whole thing and it could have turned nasty.

Sure you can download whatever nice pics you like off the internet but reposting them elsewhere is a big no NO! We're lucky that we have some very talented snappers already posting and sharing their work on AE.

Edit: Some of the f-chat discussion here http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152468&highlight=copyright

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Some of that was just crazy though!  I don't remember where I downloaded even 1% of the pics I've scabbed off the internets, and I'm not going to scour the planet looking for the original artist to get permission to post it.

MM went silly with all that - it was just some guy who'd found a pic one day and posted it in a "favourite ferrari photo" thread or something similar - no idea where he got it from just that he'd saved it once upon a time, and then he's accused of "stealing" a photo. :rolleyes:

At least with mine, if someone saves it and then sometime down the track they post it somewhere, they know where to go back and get more information if they want.

What started this thread was some time ago someone went to great lengths to remove the watermarks - and I couldn't figure out why.  Unlike the Ferrari Club who do it to post them in a magazine after being told I'd happily supply the hi-res originals... :doh: :p

Offline 265T

i've been thinking about watermarking my pics for a while now, i'm starting to see my pics turning up everywhere, from threads, avatars, for sale ads & in almost every person i knows myspace  :rolleyes:

since CA i've had a couple people ask for copies of my photos to either be printed for sponsors or to use in media releases/promotion

so as a surprise for xmas my wife had a friend knock up a couple watermarks

what are everyones thoughts? Should i use/modify one of these or go with something different?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The design notwithstanding, you want something that people will find you with when they see your photo.

Apart from all the hits we get on this site from search engines which are mostly ferrari, lamborghini, for sale, photo, image, porsche, forum, crash, etc.... one that is consistently in the top 10 is actually people searching for "aussieexotics.com" or variations thereof.  Of course I can't speak for their motives absolutely, but I put it down to people seeing my watermark and googling it - as I do when I see a watermark on a photo I really like.

So, if you're going to watermark something, make sure it's something someone can type into google and find you instantly.  Forget email addresses, people never type in email addresses, they look at websites first.

What you want is several sites out there that offer 3rd party services of your photos, and one central web page where it all comes together.  Lookup redbubble.com, zazzle.com, lulu.com, smugmug.com... etc, I have discount coupon codes for each of these, actually I'll just put them in the url if I can find them.

It looks like the domain 265T.com is taken - if you're really stuck on that moniker then find an alternative (org, net, .com.au, .biz, etc) and register it now.  In the meantime I'm happy to set up a sub-domain here for you which would be accessible as either aussieexotics.com/265t or 265t.aussieexotics.com - and would be completely separate as far as content goes from this site.

Offline 265T

i like the idea that the watermark will lead you to a site & the plan was to setup a site, probably something like Marek's     http://allshotsimaging.com.au

but that was later down the track, just add .com etc to the end of the watermark

i have no idea about registering a domain name, so i did a quick google

what's the difference between registering a .com.au address here for $38/2yrs  http://www.cheapdomains.com.au/

& here $127/2yrs   http://www.domainregistration.com.au/

that would be great if you could set up a sub domain until i'm up & running, i'd really appreciate it. I like the sound of 265t.aussieexotics.com  :cool:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok, for .com.au you need an ABN, and it's *supposed* to somehow relate to your website name.  If it's not it will be shut down eventually.

Personally I don't think the .au bit is *that* much of a blessing, it's only worthwhile if you specifically have a business you run through it.  For example, Google knows that this site is Australian and reflects as much when you search for Aussie results on stuff - despite it only being a dot com registered in Germany in 2006.

The difference between the two you mentioned is basically nothing but the price.  That's just the way it is with internet stuff, the best deal is the one that suits you on the day.  Domain registration means nothing, any extra money spent is simply profit for the registrar - just like a number plate, it doesn't have any intrinsic value, only what is made of it.

That allshotsimaing.com place is just a pbase.com redirect.  you can do the same or better at the sites I listed above, without needing any web design skills.

My recommendation is smugmug.com, I don't know the prices per year now, I think intro was $40, medium was $100, and pro was $150 (US).  I took the Pro account, and that's what you see when you go to http://gallery.aussieexotics.com

I haven't updated it in almost a year because I spend so much time here, but the pro account there will allow you to sell digital downloads, portfolios, posters, mugs, mousepads, condoms... well, maybe not that, but almost anything based on your photos - it's just up to you to promote it.  And once you pay for it I can have you up and running within a day or so.

Use coupon: F5CxHlOfM34o6 to save $5 bucks off the subscription fee.

Other stuff they do is you upload your original res photos and you can apply an automatic watermark to all photos - that's why on some of my older ones you see the multiple faint watermarks across them - I used to use them full on until I got too involved doing it all for myself.  They have just recently started offering hi-def vids too, check the videos page for the latest stuff where I uploaded hi-def vids of the ferrari rally trackday.  Plus all the stats on how many of your pics have been seen etc.