Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ok so I'm moving into a new place - I mean spanking. There's no hooks in walls to mount artwork and the walls look bare.

I haven't googled yet - anyone know of a system that can hang art without touching the wall but bein as close as possible?

The industrious spirit in me is thinking like maybe deployable skinny strippers poles that extend floor to ceiling...

Offline dkabab

have the same story in my place... not sure what to do. you can get those stick on ones, but they aren't strong enough for heavy framings... there are some that are, but they are quite large and bulky

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

How heavy? We have plenty of art in the office up to about 8-10kgs and it's up using the 3M velcro tape.

Stuff can be removed easily without marking/destroying paint as well and it sits flush to the wall.
C'mon, do it!

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
the 3m stick on ones work great for me
the picture frame ones are thin
I have 3 of them holding up a tapestry behind glass in a gold frame thats at least a metre by a metre
it hasnt fallen down for 2 years so far

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
I used to supply and install a picture hanging system up here. It is a track that is fixed at the very top of the wall, which you can insert hangers that consist of a sliding hook on a length of nylon. They are pretty good at holding most pictures etc, even put some mirrors on some. The company I got my stuff out of is www.curtrax.com.au and it is pretty easy to install yourself if you know your way around a cordless drill. Light pictures will hang with a slight lean forward but still pretty good.

Edit* It does mean you  need to permanently attach it to the wall which can be an issue.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

No permanent stuff.

The 3M I thought of - but I spent too many unemployed Tuesday afternoons waking up to that guy from Spooky Stories or whatever flogging it on daytime teevee to assign any real credibility to it.

My stuff is gunna be 0.5-3kg I'm guessing.

Offline cel

I'd say 3m is the way to go as well  :thumbsup:

The velcro that Al mentioned should keep it flat to the wall and it should hold the weight

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
anything you stick on will only stick as well as the paint has stuck....

especially new places/new paint....

quite frustrating smashing picture glass when it drops, only to find the hanger still attached to the back, with a large flake of wall paint stuck to it.

But those little sticky things do work, and they come in multi sizes. Make sure you get the right size for the job. overkill is good.

Or, buy a very slim phillipino to stand there and hold it for you. She can clean the house while you're out too..... and maybe other domestics chores as appropriate.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok if there's no recommendations from Carl about artistic reacharounds the 3M sounds the shiznit. None of my stuff has the glass/frame wank.

Offline 98octane

Ok if there's no recommendations from Carl about artistic reacharounds the 3M sounds the shiznit. None of my stuff has the glass/frame wank.

Random fact:  The #1 Google images result for "glass/frame wank" is a hairy goat  :eek:

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=glass%2Fframe%20wank.&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi