Offline T0M722

I recently found that when I uploaded images to Flickr, they were desaturated a little bit. Also, when I tried to open my photos with Windows Photo Viewer, they were the same sort of desaturation when I put it in full screen, but NOT when I just opened the image, just when it was in slideshow view.

This only applied to photos I'd edited in Lightroom 3 and not any other so I changed a few settings in lightroom to experiment how to get my photo exporting (from Lightroom) back to normal again. Yesterday I edited a friend's photo and downloaded it from an email, (he uses a canon g12). Because yesterday I edited a friend's photo using Lightroom, that may have changed some settings automatically.

I noticed that the color setting when you export photos was ProPhoto RGB, instead of sRGB. I changed to sRGB and now I think everything's fine with the pictures and it's back to normal, BUT:

Should my photos be exported with sRGB or ProPhoto RGB? Because I do not know what it was before this kerfuffle happened.

Any other idea's on what I should do? Not completely %100 sure that it's back to normal yet :/
:)

Offline 98octane

Don't know what pros use, but I use sRGB, which is the default.  I often find various standard Windows image viewers and IE don't do photos justice, both in terms of colour and sharpness.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Some of my photographer friends debate this a lot
theres websites dedicated to it

Unfortunately it doesnt end there,  as apparently google chrome doesnt use the same pallette as other browsers
So even if you get it looking perfect in your system, even another users browser choices can change the colors, depending on the hues etc you are using and the dynamic range, quite dramatically

I have seen sample images somewhere and the effects the different browsers had on them

Offline dkabab

And further to that, all screens are different, some brighter, some darker. Colour profiles, white balance etc...

Offline MaTBoY

• Photo Whore

• Drives: Evolution 7
  • Name: Matt
Srgb will be the better option as its more widely used and recognised. The colour gamut is slightly narrower but nearly everything uses it. The only time to use anything different is if your printing professionally, but you'd still need to check with the printer before selecting another profile.

Hope this helps.

Offline T0M722

Thanks a lot. I've got it set to SRGB now :)
:)