Offline cel

It's about time I extend my lens collection and I'm thinking of saving up for this lens:

Sony 50mm F1.4

I've been using the standard two lenses I got when I purchased my camera and feel like I need a nice bright lens which will be great with a cp filter in lower light aswell.

I'm starting to feel that a lot of my pics get noisy very fast.

Does anyone have any experience with a similer lens?

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

50mm Primes are like a staple of a photographers Kit, almost every photographer has one.

They take some getting used to though, you'll love shooting at f/1.4 as well, so much fun to be had shooting with such a shallow DOF.

The whole, "Move your feet" thing for zooming effectively, can throw people off primes though, id suggest getting your hands on one and having a go with it first, but Primes are wicked lenses to have in your arsenal...
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline Laminator

• https://www.facebook.com/photoesel/

Well, I've used both the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8s pretty extensively, also had a play with an f/1.2 for a few weeks at one point and I have nothing but positive things to say to people about the "Fiddy Mills".

Bright (as you said) and very practical, highly versatile. No real limitations (that I can think of) apart from the 50mm sometimes being too close... I guess this could be seen as a minor problem with automotive photography, with emphasis on the minor part.

Offline cel

That is my biggest concern, not being able to zoom in/out will take some getting used to, but I'm sure the photo's will be worth it with the DOF and clarity.

Hopefully I'll have it within 2 months or so, enough time to save up and find the best deal

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways

f/1.2 is amazingly fun to mess around with, the 85mm 1.2 Canon do is an amazing lens, wish i could afford one! Might have to settle for the 1.8 instead...

On a Tangent....Cel, i didnt know you shot Sony, thought you shot Canon?

Offline dkabab

whats the sony 50mm cost? nikon and canon both have several versions.... but starting from 150 - 400ish...

Offline cel

Chris, nah I've had the Sony A100 for several years now :)

Dave: on the sony site it's advertised for $699, but I've found several places quite a bit cheaper ($370 on a hong kong import site)

Sony also has a F1.8 lens for $299 on the Sony website, but I've read the F1.4 is worth getting over that one

Offline dkabab

i have 2 primes in my kit... love both of them!

the 20mm f2.8 is the newest addition.... on a full frame it makes for some ultra wide angle shots, pretty good DOF but extremely sharp.

the 300 f2.8 is in a league of its own... razor sharp in all corners, amazing DOF, and super fast at focusing  worth every cent.... (lots of them!!!!)

Offline cel

Dave: any specials at your work?  :tilt:

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways

But Dave.... if you listen to the drift photographers, their 18-200 is better ;)

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ BMW M Power ] BMW 8 Series Concept Alpinem3e92 Today at 09:49
[ Off Topic ] Teevee and moovees 360c Today at 01:02
[ British Cars ] RR Cullinan dkabab Yesterday at 22:33
[ Racing ] ADAC Nurburgring 24 Hours tdc911 Yesterday at 22:05
[ McLaren ] McLaren 720S mhh Yesterday at 21:24
[ Off Topic ] Music amgsl55 Yesterday at 21:03
[ Funny Cool Stoopid ] it's funny cause i'm drunk!! amgsl55 Yesterday at 19:37
[ McLaren ] OFFICIAL - MCLAREN P1 JBO Yesterday at 18:48
[ Gadgets and Technology ] Forget about Lily, this is cooler dkabab Yesterday at 18:41
[ Ferrari ] The cool Ferrari photo thread 360c Yesterday at 18:38