Offline 98octane

if there is nothing really wrong with buying grey lenses, assuming you take all safety precautions, what do you think on buying grey camera bodies?

I was told that, for Canon products at least, warranties on grey lenses can be redeemed in Australia but for bodies, you need to send them back to the country of origin.

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

if there is nothing really wrong with buying grey lenses, assuming you take all safety precautions, what do you think on buying grey camera bodies?

The problem with grey bodies is that they are not covered by an Australian Warranty, you may get a 3rd party one, such as MACK or something, but they are even more likely to knock back claims than say Canon themselves. The products are identicle bar maybe a charging cord, but Canon/Nikon/Sony wont honour any warranties as they arn't Australian stock.

I just picked up my new body, it may have cost me a bit more in Oz, but the warranty is worth it, plus, if i have any problems, i can go to a store and deal with a person, not a phone...

Lenses such as the Canon "L" Series glass are covered by an international warranty, so repairs etc here arn't a problem, and im yet to have any trouble with any glass ive bought, Grey or not!
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline app

thanks for that Doctor and 98Octane, i'll keep that in mind when i eventually get an SLR

i still don't know if i want a nikon or canon :confused:

i've taken photos on both in the past few months to try and get a feel for it. although i kinda liked the feel of the canon better (no specific reason), i honestly don't know how to pick which is the better option for me

most people i know with a SLR have a nikon, hardly anyone has a canon, i don't know why that is as they don't seem THAT much different in quality

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways

thanks for that Doctor and 98Octane, i'll keep that in mind when i eventually get an SLR

i still don't know if i want a nikon or canon :confused:

i've taken photos on both in the past few months to try and get a feel for it. although i kinda liked the feel of the canon better (no specific reason), i honestly don't know how to pick which is the better option for me

most people i know with a SLR have a nikon, hardly anyone has a canon, i don't know why that is as they don't seem THAT much different in quality

If your mates all shoot Nikon you have the benefit of being able to borrow lenses etc, and any trouble shooting can be done easily with mates.

But if you prefer the feel of the Canon, then thats the way I'd go, i shoot canon because i prefer the way they feel in hand, my hands dont cramp if im shooting for extended periods, and i like the menu systems in them. I cant stand the Nikon menu system, and dont like the way they feel when i hold them, if i was you, Id be grabbing a Canon, no point using equipment you dont like the feel of, it ruins the experience, you will probably find that you wont take as many photos, and the gear will end up gathering dust if you dont enjoy holding the camera.

Offline 98octane

If your mates all shoot Nikon you have the benefit of being able to borrow lenses etc, and any trouble shooting can be done easily with mates.

But if you prefer the feel of the Canon, then thats the way I'd go, i shoot canon because i prefer the way they feel in hand, my hands dont cramp if im shooting for extended periods, and i like the menu systems in them. I cant stand the Nikon menu system, and dont like the way they feel when i hold them, if i was you, Id be grabbing a Canon, no point using equipment you dont like the feel of, it ruins the experience, you will probably find that you wont take as many photos, and the gear will end up gathering dust if you dont enjoy holding the camera.

+1   I've always known and used Canons, so it's my natural choice.  My dad has a Nikon DSLR, but I just don't like the feel as much.  That said, I think the kit lenses on Nikons are generally better optically than Canon kit lenses (and the Nikon kit lenses have image stabilisation).

Offline cjay

Canon kit lenses make great body caps  :scared:

Offline cel

There are a few Oz based grey retailers, Discount Digital Photographics for instance that are relatively good as well, this will bypass any possible customs problem cos the items are allready in oz before they are sold to you. Ive bought from them, my 100-400 was bought from them, and have had good experiences dealing with them

Cool, they have the lens for sale for $550, that's alright and I can even pick it up myself

Offline cel

Alright, just placed the order. Decided not to go with DWI but have gone with B+H instead, still quite a bit cheaper then in stores here. Cost me A$475 in the end.

Hopefully if really lucky I'll have it by the end of the week, otherwise early next week :)

Offline 98octane

Alright, just placed the order. Decided not to go with DWI but have gone with B+H instead, still quite a bit cheaper then in stores here. Cost me A$475 in the end.

Hopefully if really lucky I'll have it by the end of the week, otherwise early next week :)

Congrats.  Post some pics when you get it.

By the way, I used the L series 75-200mm that I bought from B+H for my recent airshow photos.  It's so much better than my previous zoom lens - very happy with my purchase.  I had a big case of lens envy though - lots of blokes with Canon 5Ds and 1Ds with 300-400mm L lenses.

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways

Congrats man, it's like christmas day for a 4 year old when new gear arrives at my place, boxes and packaging everywhere haha

Congrats.  Post some pics when you get it.

By the way, I used the L series 75-200mm that I bought from B+H for my recent airshow photos.  It's so much better than my previous zoom lens - very happy with my purchase.  I had a big case of lens envy though - lots of blokes with Canon 5Ds and 1Ds with 300-400mm L lenses.

75-200? or 70-200? The 70-200's are great lenses, its on my list of things to get...

Lens envy, we all know that feeling, you ever gotten your hands onto any of the big primes? 2/300mm+?

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ McLaren ] 675 LT Spider JPG Yesterday at 23:20
[ Racing ] 2017 Formula 1 Tipping game PA Yesterday at 20:43
[ Racing ] Seeking photos of Brian Ginger - died in 1993 London-Sydney Marathon Chicky01 Yesterday at 17:38
[ Ferrari ] 812 Superfast shack Yesterday at 16:57
[ Funny Cool Stoopid ] it's funny cause i'm drunk!! dodger Yesterday at 16:20
[ Racing ] Australian GT series dkabab Yesterday at 13:32
[ Off Topic ] Real Estate 360c Yesterday at 11:48
[ British Cars ] JAGUAR XJ220 tdc911 Fri, 24 Mar, 2017 - 17:36
[ Air Crash Investigations ] For those thinking of a private jet dkabab Fri, 24 Mar, 2017 - 17:32
[ Racing ] Lola Larousse LC88 goober Fri, 24 Mar, 2017 - 17:17