Offline 98octane

75-200? or 70-200? The 70-200's are great lenses, its on my list of things to get...

Lens envy, we all know that feeling, you ever gotten your hands onto any of the big primes? 2/300mm+?

My bad, it's 70-200mm.  Never used a prime, let alone 300mm+.  Can't justify the expense given I don't do heaps of motorsport/sport/aviation/wildlife zoom photography.  The 200mm reach is almost enough for my purposes (would have like 400m yesterday though  ;)).

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

My bad, it's 70-200mm.  Never used a prime, let alone 300mm+.  Can't justify the expense given I don't do heaps of motorsport/sport/aviation/wildlife zoom photography.  The 200mm reach is almost enough for my purposes (would have like 400m yesterday though  ;)).

They arnt cheap thats for sure, but if you get the chance, use one, awesome lenses....

What 70-200 did you get?
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline 98octane

They arnt cheap thats for sure, but if you get the chance, use one, awesome lenses....

What 70-200 did you get?

f/4 non-IS.  At least double the price for the f2.8 or IS versions.  Plus I doubt the extra $$$ for IS would be value for money given I'm panning in full daylight (like yesterday) or I'd use a tripod.

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways

f/4 non-IS.  At least double the price for the f2.8 or IS versions.  Plus I doubt the extra $$$ for IS would be value for money given I'm panning in full daylight (like yesterday) or I'd use a tripod.

the f/4 is sharper too... I dont use IS, even on lenses with it!

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Just for the sake of completeness here, I use the 70-200 f4 with IS and reckon it's fantastic.

Given that it's switchable IS (off, vertical and horizontal, or just vertical for when panning), it's perfect for the broad range of stuff I do.

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways

Just for the sake of completeness here, I use the 70-200 f4 with IS and reckon it's fantastic.

Given that it's switchable IS (off, vertical and horizontal, or just vertical for when panning), it's perfect for the broad range of stuff I do.

No doubt its helpful, my 100-400 has it, with the same functions as yours, but mine is set to OFF most of the time, if i could find one, a 300 2.8 NON IS would be awesome, same goes for the 200 1.8, id gladly take either of those over a 300 2.8 IS version...

Offline 98octane

Does it make much difference compared to the non-IS?

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Does it make much difference compared to the non-IS?

Sooooo hard to make a direct comparison with all other things equal.  But I believe so.

I suppose the best test is the fact that I haven't ever looked at the results of an entire shoot and thought "they're all a bit soft".

Offline dkabab

my 300mm 2.8 has VR, but i only ever turn it on when trying to take a shot of something still a long distance away. otherwise with panning or action etc.... i dont use it.

Offline cel

Congrats.  Post some pics when you get it.

By the way, I used the L series 75-200mm that I bought from B+H for my recent airshow photos.  It's so much better than my previous zoom lens - very happy with my purchase.  I had a big case of lens envy though - lots of blokes with Canon 5Ds and 1Ds with 300-400mm L lenses.

Thanks guys, can't wait for the mail to come, definitely very excited!

I could definitely tell you used your new lens with the airshow photo's, they look great and sharp!  :thumbsup:

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ McLaren ] 675 LT Spider JPG Yesterday at 23:20
[ Racing ] 2017 Formula 1 Tipping game PA Yesterday at 20:43
[ Racing ] Seeking photos of Brian Ginger - died in 1993 London-Sydney Marathon Chicky01 Yesterday at 17:38
[ Ferrari ] 812 Superfast shack Yesterday at 16:57
[ Funny Cool Stoopid ] it's funny cause i'm drunk!! dodger Yesterday at 16:20
[ Racing ] Australian GT series dkabab Yesterday at 13:32
[ Off Topic ] Real Estate 360c Yesterday at 11:48
[ British Cars ] JAGUAR XJ220 tdc911 Fri, 24 Mar, 2017 - 17:36
[ Air Crash Investigations ] For those thinking of a private jet dkabab Fri, 24 Mar, 2017 - 17:32
[ Racing ] Lola Larousse LC88 goober Fri, 24 Mar, 2017 - 17:17