Offline Wozzathelad

Hi all

One of the Aussie Elise lads kindly donated his car for a small photo shoot. This is my first go at off-camera flash, so be gentle!

Cheers
Warren

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Sadly the first thing I noticed was the number plate treatment.  :(

Offline Wozzathelad

Sadly the first thing I noticed was the number plate treatment.  :(

Damn, that bad huh?. Swirled it out to keep the car anonymous, but I guess I could just blank it. All criticism welcomed though, thanks :-)

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Damn, that bad huh?

Yep.

All criticism welcomed though, thanks :-)

Well in that case...   :D

1.  I would have tried to work with the strange lines (vinyl graphics I assume?) a bit more rather than "ignoring" them
2.  Depth of field feels a bit wrong in some of them.  Some stuff I don't want to see I can see clearly, and vise versa
3.  I would have gone for better angles to hide the missing rear centre caps
4.  Interior shot distractingly noisy
5.  When there's such obvious lines on the road like under the rear in 3rd shot, either park it somewhere else, or work with them
6.  I'd be reconsidering framing in general...  especially to eliminate photographing my own equipment that I've left sitting around outside the car.  :rolleyes:

But it's all VERY subjective.  You'll probably find someone else tell you the exact opposite to any of that.

:)

Offline Wozzathelad

Yep.

Well in that case...   :D

1.  I would have tried to work with the strange lines (vinyl graphics I assume?) a bit more rather than "ignoring" them
2.  Depth of field feels a bit wrong in some of them.  Some stuff I don't want to see I can see clearly, and vise versa
3.  I would have gone for better angles to hide the missing rear centre caps
4.  Interior shot distractingly noisy
5.  When there's such obvious lines on the road like under the rear in 3rd shot, either park it somewhere else, or work with them
6.  I'd be reconsidering framing in general...  especially to eliminate photographing my own equipment that I've left sitting around outside the car.  :rolleyes:

But it's all VERY subjective.  You'll probably find someone else tell you the exact opposite to any of that.

:)

Thanks for that, all very useful. My first static set of a car and to be honest, it was on a strict time limit (1 hour) with the owner and his missus helping me out and being extrememly patient :-)   

1. I see what you're getting at with the vinyl graphics. That's where it gets subjective, as I wasn't a fan of them and wanted to concentrate more on the form of the car. Some shots couldn't avoid them though.

2. Depth of field observation is interesting, although I suspect it's due to my maximum aperture. None of it was shot above F4.0 (on a 24-105mm F4L) as I found the background distracting and wanted to isolate it as much as possible. The place seemed OK when I was scouting it, but not so much when shooting.  The 1st shot does look a lot sharper than that, I must admit. Some of that was down to focal lengths combined with the shooting distance from the car (sometimes determined by other parked cars, sometimes not).

3. Agreed on the center caps, but there are really very few angles to shoot from to avoid that, other than to avoid shooting the rear quarter of the car, or avoid shooting the wheels altogether. My choice not to do that.

4. Fully agree on this. It's the worst shot I took and the only one I used any real post processing on. I pushed the exposure of the RAW file as the cabin was much darker than I thought when I shot it.  The strobe was firing from outside the passenger window and gave a nice ambient effect, but way too dark. This of course highlights the noise and the light stand outside!. Good "doh" moment and a good lesson :-)

5. Another subjective one I think. I wanted the curb and the buildings, and tried parking the car with it's rear parallel to the curb and it looked crap. Looking at it now, I'm picturing moving the angle of the car relative to the lines and it doesn't work. I wouldn't have done it different.

6. The comment on framing in general is a little harsh...unless it's joined by the equipment comment, which is fully justified!.

Thanks again for your comments. Definately plan to keep them in mind for the next time.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
a pedophile used the swirl technique on his face in some of his photograpy
it got unswirled he got life in prison

im working on unswirling the plates now, so that you can also get....oh wait, you took photos of a car

nice photos! better than I can do

not a fan of the vinyl graphics on that car at all

Offline Wozzathelad

a pedophile used the swirl technique on his face in some of his photograpy
it got unswirled he got life in prison

im working on unswirling the plates now, so that you can also get....oh wait, you took photos of a car

nice photos! better than I can do

not a fan of the vinyl graphics on that car at all

:-)  Thanks for that Futurism!. I do agree with you on the vinyl issue.  Horses for courses I guess.

Offline dkabab

just one comment, on the first picture, the wheels should be turned the other way.
other wise, nice work

what lighting did you use? a remote flash?

Offline Wozzathelad

just one comment, on the first picture, the wheels should be turned the other way.
other wise, nice work

what lighting did you use? a remote flash?

Thanks dkabab. I agree it may have looked better at a different angle. Did a few close up wheel shots and wanted to get a lit up version of the tread pattern, but yeah, the wheels would do a good job of showing off the side lighting.

Dead on with the flash comment. I used 2 speedlites with ebay triggers. They were a bit hit and miss and would sometimes fire off randomly!, but altogether, not a bad buy at $35 each. The Pocket Wizards sell for $300 plus each, and I want to improve my shots before dumping down that kind of cash!.   

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Before you said two speedlights i thought you had used one, im not a fan of this set really, i think you would have been better off using natural light than the flash's in these circumstances. Flash's i think, are better suited to evening out light distribution during the day, or to lighten up a darkened area, night shots need a more constant, better spread and diffused lighting source.

Have a read of these two posts on a forum

Lighting: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70290

and this one is also a good read http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=536323, and both are extremely helpful,

This is also a very good site

http://www.carphototutorials.com/

The best of the lot is the second shot, it just needs some more light on the rear of the car, make it more evenly lit, that shot is well framed as well.

The third shot, needs to show the whole car, if your focus was on the rear end, i would have taken it square on from the rear.

I second what dkabab said too, the orientation of the front wheels needs to be different in the first shot, in the second they are spot on though.

Regarding the number plate treatment, grab the clone tool, and use that, looks much tidier than the swirling effect, it really does detract from the shots.

All that being said, you did get some great colour from the shots, along with doing very well in hiding the light sources from reflecting in the paint, just need some work on lighting and framing.

Keep trying though! There are some great photographers on here, and you will defiantly learn alot the more you post!
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver