Offline Easton

• Drives: 2009 Lotus Elise S
Well new in a way, I already know a fair number of you! So probably sick to see my face again.

People have recommended me to this forum for years. I didn't realize how much photography-related content is here, nor how many great photographers there are!

Better post a photo to justify making a new thread. This is an old one shot 3 or 4 years ago now. Just light painted with a bit of monochrome background treatment.

I own a little yellow Elise which I don't really photograph, but try to take out for a fang when I have the time.

I shoot mainly with a 5D Mark II 24-70, I also have a Mamiya/phaseone combo but I only use that on some marketing type of stuff.

I'm focusing alot on personal projects lately, which is non-car related stuff. Hoping to learn and reinspire myself again exploring other interesting areas of photography.

Hope to have fun here!

Offline dkabab

Welcome Easton. I have seen plenty of your work over the years. You have a lot of talent.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the medium format cameras. Not only how they are to use but what their files are like to work with. I hear they are very flat and uncontrasty out of the camera.

Offline Easton

Welcome Easton. I have seen plenty of your work over the years. You have a lot of talent.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the medium format cameras. Not only how they are to use but what their files are like to work with. I hear they are very flat and uncontrasty out of the camera.

Hi mate!! Thanks for the warm welcome. Medium format backs definitely have more detail in the shadows and highlights, that's why they come out flat and uncontrasty. It's a better base input to start constructing your final images with. You can always go from uncontrasty to contrasty (destroying pixel data in the process) but you can't go the other way around.

They are significant drawbacks however, not including the ridiculous price. I find them hardly worth their value anymore as 35mm digital has reached a point where you're getting 95% of the quality of medium format at a 10% of the price!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Easton, welcome.  Like others, I've seen your great work in the mags.

Apart from enjoying more from your excellent portfolio, and technical tips, I'm sure some of the young guys here would be keen to learn more about turning a hobby into a paying proposition.  Everyone has a camera but not everyone gets published. How did you break through the barrier?

Online T0M722

Welcome Easton, big fan of your work.

Looking forward to learning more from you and talking with a professional!
:)

Offline Iggy_Type_R

Easton! Hey buddy it's been a long time! I remember you shot my 350Z back in the day ;) good to see you on here

Offline fivesix

Offline Easton

Easton! Hey buddy it's been a long time! I remember you shot my 350Z back in the day ;) good to see you on here

Hey mate!!! Been a bloody long time! What are you driving nowadays?

Offline Easton

Easton, welcome.  Like others, I've seen your great work in the mags.

Apart from enjoying more from your excellent portfolio, and technical tips, I'm sure some of the young guys here would be keen to learn more about turning a hobby into a paying proposition.  Everyone has a camera but not everyone gets published. How did you break through the barrier?

Hi mate! I remember you from Lambo-Power!

In a nutshell I think it's about establishing one self with a uniquely recognisable style. In the automotive industry when a client wants the "John Smith" look they're going to call John Smith. There's very little point in following others too much because it dilutes your ability to establish that style and reputation in the long term. I discuss this topic in a bit of detail in an online blog interview a short while back.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/01/photographer_blog_gt_gt_easton_changb/