Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
My plan is to have a smugmug setup with my own domain but also to have a separate portfolio site that is very simple to navigate. I really like the layout of the  carbonmade one i quickly put together. Throughout December i will have a final product, it may come down to having to pay someone but for now i want to give it a go myself, just want to get as input from people with experience in doing this

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I always pay people so listen to Ash :D

Offline dkabab

Farid, my site is a smugmug portfolio kinda site, its so easy to maintain and add new galleries. there isnt much customisation in terms of pages of text and html, as far as i could figure out anyway... but have a look at my site and anything you do with yours will look the same (layout mostly)

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I have a few managed dedicated servers in the US that dont do much

If you just want hosting for free you can point your domains to one of my boxes and I will set you up with ftp access and you can do whatever you want from there

No guarantees it will remain available forever or that I will be available 24/7 for tech support
but the price is right

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
My plan is to have a smugmug setup with my own domain but also to have a separate portfolio site that is very simple to navigate.

Why do you want separate sites? It quickly gets too hard to maintain more than one thing unless it's a viable prospect.  Smugmug will do most of what you need, and you can always build your own front-end navigation so you're not so cookie cutter like the rest.

I would do my own personal thing just cos I love stuffing around with interwebs and can crank out 10 different versions of something quickly - but if it's just something you want to tinker with for a few hours a month but mostly just post content to - go with a hosted solution as those guys have spent a long time getting it right.

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Farid, my site is a smugmug portfolio kinda site, its so easy to maintain and add new galleries. there isnt much customisation in terms of pages of text and html, as far as i could figure out anyway... but have a look at my site and anything you do with yours will look the same (layout mostly)

I really like your site, i know a few other people who are using smugmug and it is on the top of my list to do, eventually i want to have a portfolio site and a e-commerce site like smugmug. I want a site that i can point people to that will show off my best images very quickly and effectively but then somewhere i can also sell and put up larger albums. http://www.pbase.com is another site with the same idea as smugmug but smugmug seems better for overall looks

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I have a few managed dedicated servers in the US that dont do much

If you just want hosting for free you can point your domains to one of my boxes and I will set you up with ftp access and you can do whatever you want from there

No guarantees it will remain available forever or that I will be available 24/7 for tech support
but the price is right

I've got the same ongoing offer - www.ozcarsightings.com and www.98octanephotography.com are there - it's slower than an oz-hosted site - but only for Aussies.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

A Wordpress site with a good theme will achieve most of what you want nowadays if you want to self-host...

Here ya go, the gf isn't around tonight so thought I'd kill time doing web stuff - slapped this together for ya:

https://aussieexotics.com/stinut/

Not 100% functional etc - but it's a taste of what you can do if you know what you're doing. :cool:

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
aaaahhh  aaaaaaaaahhhh,,,,,, took a while to stop laughing ..... i think youre only meant to think titles like that Ash, not actually put them on websites..

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
If you post pictures of the river at Goolwa on a website, do you need to have written permission from the last 5 generations of the sacred land owners in writing, or not? I spotted he had a pic from Goolwa and was a little concerned about the legalities bro.