Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Well I use full frame, so the 135 is great for portraits. I use 80-200 normally and everything between.
Remember if you're using a crop sensor, 85mm is a 135mm. And the 135 is a 200mm. So it's getting quite long.

I've got a 7D which of course is crop, but the next camera will be full frame.

regardless of the crop factor, you dont notice it unless you swap between full and crop bodies.

From what I've seen, the 135 is super sharp, fast and probably a good all-rounder

Regardless, there will be an 85 in the kit and eventually the holy trinity will be complete

but for now, I have a BH photo voucher and an exchange rate that's begging to be abused

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Mate of mine has one. I just borrow it. Between us we have almost every lens you could want or need. We rotate our lenses and loan them to eachother. Really handy.

Need an AE lens pool. :p

Is there such a thing as photography equipment rental clubs?

Offline dkabab

Need an AE lens pool. :p

Is there such a thing as photography equipment rental clubs?

Photo Wholesalers rent out cameras and lenses. I lend my gear to people I know who are trustworthy and know cameras. I wouldn't lend my gear out to someone I don't know or someone I know who doesn't know cameras.

The good thing is, using pro gear, most people have no idea how to use it, so no one asks to use it

Offline cel

My response to the earlier questions. I picked Sony at the time when I wanted to buy a DSLR when I didn't really know much about SLR's. I wanted to upgrade my Casio compact camera and stumbled on an article about Sony's upcoming first DSLR. I read a few previews and honestly did not even look at Canon or Nikon at the time.

Many (most) would argue that the best picks are either Nikon or Canon.

I always like going for the underdog though and everything I read about the Sony A100 (I bought it as soon as it was released  here about 5/6 years ago).

In those years I learned about it just messing around and taught myself the best ways to use it for what I wanted out of it. During those years I also started a little lens collection and upgraded the original kit lenses I purchased with the camera at the time.

For me picking my next camera as a Sony camera was a no brainer. I really love how innovative they are and the camera just feels perfect for what I want and need in my photos. It takes a long time to get to know your camera so after having invested so much time with your camera, the only reasons to change brand is if you don't feel the right connection with your camera, or the camera can't give you what you need in your photos.

I wouldn't mind getting a macro lens for some cool bug shots though I need more $$ first...

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Between us we have almost every lens you could want or need. We rotate our lenses and loan them to eachother. Really handy.

Sounds familiar Dave! Amongst the guys I shoot with, as you know, there is everything you could ever need to shoot with, Big fast Primes, teleconverters, spare bodies, the holy trinity of glass... Really damn handy! And saves me spending big bucks...

As for the Canon V Nikon scrap... Dave and myself have discussed at length, for me, the Nikon bodies feel weird in hand, and I don't like their Menu systems, plus, for what I do, the long glass is a little better I think. My 100-400 is an underrated lens, and even today it surprises people.

Offline dkabab

Cel, don't buy a macro lens, yet. Use your 50mm and reverse it. Get a lens reverse adapter and it will be about 2x magnification instead of 1:1 from a macro.
The wider the lens u have the more magnified it is.

Using a 10mm fisheye, I filled the frame with a pin head

Offline cel

Cel, don't buy a macro lens, yet. Use your 50mm and reverse it. Get a lens reverse adapter and it will be about 2x magnification instead of 1:1 from a macro.
The wider the lens u have the more magnified it is.

Using a 10mm fisheye, I filled the frame with a pin head

:eek: thanks, I might order one tomorrow!  :thumbsup:

Offline dkabab

:eek: thanks, I might order one tomorrow!  :thumbsup:

Canon have a really cool macro lens that magnifies upto 5x. It doesn't zoom as such but you can select the focus distance or something. On a 35mm camera you can fill the frame with a grain of rice.
And their macro ring flash is awesome too, it effectively has 2 halves and you can adjust the strength of each side separately.
http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/Camera-Lenses/MPE65mm-f28-15x-Macro-Lens

This and the reverse lens thing, plus extension tubes etc, is how photographers. Get those amazing photos of insects. I'd love to have a go at it myself.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

• Drives: MB SLK230 - VW 3.6 CC

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

hahahaha - all I can think about now is "Motor Boat"!!!!!!   :D