Offline will.dinn

• Name: Will
Hey guys I am selling my Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM because I need something wider. it is in great condition and is an awesome lens. It is listed on eBay for $520 but I'd be happy to negotiate with an Aussie Exotics member :)

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
I was thinking of adding another 0 on the end of my D80 too! They gonna be around the 3k mark?

Out of interest (well my self interest  :)  ) 

What would it take to convert you guys to Canon?

Is it a philosophical thing, like Mac vs PC, or are you swayable?
C'mon, do it!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

perhaps the Nikon people want to stand out from the throng of white lenses.

Canon all the way!!!

Once you commit to a particular format, it's very expensive to change.  The camera body is the cheapest part of the equation.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
perhaps the Nikon people want to stand out from the throng of white lenses.

Canon all the way!!!

Once you commit to a particular format, it's very expensive to change.  The camera body is the cheapest part of the equation.

Dave's mentioned new body and lenses for the Nikon upgrade above. Perhaps this bridges the difference a little on the Brand swap?
C'mon, do it!

Offline dkabab

good question.

for me its financial more than anything. if my want to change brands was strong enough i would, but i cant see the point in changing for someone like me, unless the cost of change over was minimal.

to give you an idea on the gear i have and its dollar value on RRP

D700 - $3999
16-35mm - $1999
50mm - $229
80-200mm - $1799
70-300mm - $699
300mm - $7999
speedlight x2 $499
6 batteries - $100

thats around $18,000

if i sold it all today i would maybe get $10,000. to buy canon gear that would tempt me to change would probably cost $15-20k

for someone like me who's not made of money, its an expensive exercise.

nikon/canon is as good as holden/ford. they both do the same thing in their own way.

i prefer canon image quality in their colours and contrast, but nikon have better natural colours and better low light performance.
nikon menu's and controls are much nicer to use and more ergonomic.

if i was starting from scratch 6 months ago i would have jumped on canon, if i was starting today, id jump on nikon. for what i do, the D4 and D800 are amazing looking equipment.

that said, when canon revamp their entire range this year, it may change again. point being, they will always leapfrog each other on technology and performance, but realistically, my 3yr old d700 is more than i really need. (wont stop me buying the d800 though :p )

Offline will.dinn

• Name: Will
good question.

for me its financial more than anything. if my want to change brands was strong enough i would, but i cant see the point in changing for someone like me, unless the cost of change over was minimal.

to give you an idea on the gear i have and its dollar value on RRP

D700 - $3999
16-35mm - $1999
50mm - $229
80-200mm - $1799
70-300mm - $699
300mm - $7999
speedlight x2 $499
6 batteries - $100

thats around $18,000

if i sold it all today i would maybe get $10,000. to buy canon gear that would tempt me to change would probably cost $15-20k

for someone like me who's not made of money, its an expensive exercise.

nikon/canon is as good as holden/ford. they both do the same thing in their own way.

i prefer canon image quality in their colours and contrast, but nikon have better natural colours and better low light performance.
nikon menu's and controls are much nicer to use and more ergonomic.

if i was starting from scratch 6 months ago i would have jumped on canon, if i was starting today, id jump on nikon. for what i do, the D4 and D800 are amazing looking equipment.

that said, when canon revamp their entire range this year, it may change again. point being, they will always leapfrog each other on technology and performance, but realistically, my 3yr old d700 is more than i really need. (wont stop me buying the d800 though :p )

I shoot Canon and love it, my opinion is that Nikon is superior in terms of wide angle lenses and Canon is superior with telephotos. Nikon has the unbeatable 14-24 2.8, the 16-35 VR and the 17-35 2.8. They also have the 12-24 and the 10-24 for DX. Canon only has the 17-40, 16-35 and 10-22. (they are pretty close in terms of wide primes)

but Canon makes 4 70-200's each good in their own way. 3 70-300's and the 100-400L with a 200-400 in the works with a built in 1.4 extender. So in my opinion Canon and Nikon both have their place and they both play to their strengths. But i believe for cars Canon is better (I'm a bit biased though :) )

Offline dkabab

I'm not sure how making multiple versions of 1 lens constitutes a better brand.
I do like canons 100-400. I wish Nikon did something as good. It has the 80-400 but it's a dinasour in comparison. The only other option is the 200-400 f4 and that's $10,000+

I wouldn't compare lenses so blatantly when you have to remember they aren't tested on the same camera, which will make a difference to the results. I have used my lenses on different bodies and have had different results. Similar, but different.

Offline cjay

Maybe the Canon CPS web site would convert them ;)

I'm thinking of changing back to Nikon, constant AF problems and being treat like an idiot by CPS are starting to bug me.

Fortunately work pays for my gear so swapping is not an issue :)

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Is a d800 in your future? GLWS

Not just yet, need to get rid of the camera as it's causing to much of a distraction for my final year at Uni. I think i will end up with a D800 or maybe the D400 if that comes around at the end of the year. Keeping all my full frame lens's and my tripod and bag.

here is the breakdown if anyone is still interested.

Nikon D300s Body + Extra Battery, Shutter count 20,605 - $1500
Nikon MB-D10 Battery ...Grip - $250
Nikon 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 VRII Lens + CP Filter - $600
Nikon 35mm f1.8 Lens + UV Filter - $250
Sigma 10-20mm HSM - $500
Tokina 70-300mm AF-S - $200

Offline T0M722

I'm selling my old Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens, great condition- has only been used 5 or so times after I bought it in April last year. Supposedly every photographer should have a 50mm lens.

Just ask and I can post some photographs I've taken with it.

$50