Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
it costs money to get it ($59.95 USD)

Yeah, and to me that is quite reasonable for not having a good backup to restore from.  :p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Thanks, but like most of the others, it costs money to get it ($59.95 USD). Everyone of them I've tried so far lets you find your files, which it does on mine, but tells you that you can't get them unless you pay for it. Problem is, I'm only going to use it once, so there is no point in really buying one yet.

Comes down to the value you put on your files and the time you spend.  As a software/etc developer if that did the job as advertised even only once and saved me a couple hours of  :banghead:  then it's probably worth it.  FWIW, I was quoted $3k to recover a couple gig of photos on a drive that developed a smoking habit.  Was sad to let them go but that really wasn't worth it.

Offline CJ

Blurring of photos:
>> Causes: Incorrect shutter speed for action being photographed.
>> Rough jerky camera handling when shooting... especially when panning.
>> Lens to slow to focus on subject.
>> Small section of image enlarged too big and image falls apart.
>> Auto focus selecting background instead of focusing on subject.

There are so many things that can cause blurry images that it is almost impossible
to say what the actual cause is... best way is to practice, practice & practice your
photography technique.
CJ.
PS
Blurry is not all bad, the technique can be used to create very nice effects
if required.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Yeah, you can get rid of blurring if you try hard enough.  It can cause other problems though....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/oct/08/1

Offline Sir Revalot

It depends what kind of blurring you are talking about, but if it's the entire image blurred and there's not one bit of sharpness, then short of some kind of funky effect, you won't get it to look 'crisper'. Your computer still needs to have the original data to work with, and unfortunately we don't have the 'enhance' button to use (well actually it's fortunate, otherwise everyone's photos would look a million bucks! :D )

To prevent blurred images do the following:

- Use a shutter speed of at least 1/125sec when hand holding. Yes, you can use lower speeds, but the hit rate of sharp photos will decrease.
- Use a tripod if possible with a cable release or timed shutter release (countdown timer) for speeds lower than the above. It's not a requirement (as I said, you can hand hold at lower speeds) but it will increase your hit rate.
- Activate 'Mirror Lockup' or use Live View (if your camera has either of these functions) for shutter speeds between 1/125sec down to 1 second. I think the range where the mirror flip-up causes issues is 1/60sec to 1/15sec but it's better to be safe than sorry! NOTE: Don't activate mirror lockup/live view when shooting directly into the sun or very bright surfaces (such as snow on a sunny day) as it can damage the internals of your camera!
- When using a telephoto (long) lens, use a shutter speed in /sec that's at least equivalent to the lens' focal length. EG if using a 300mm lens shooting hand-held, use at least 1/300sec.
- If your lens/camera body has an IS function (Image Stabiliser for Canon - known as VR in Nikon lenses) then use it, particularly at lower shutter speeds.
- Learn to use single focus points on your camera rather than relying on all of them at once. Your hit rate WILL go up.

Most of the above applies to shooting with an SLR, but you should find that employing these principles when applicable will increase your hit-rate at least somewhat.

Hope that helps!