Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Basically - take TWO shots of a subject at different distances but similar fields-of-view.

Not different-but-sort-of-the-same photos you once took, we want two new pics of the same scenario at different distances but similar framing.

The dolly-zoom is one of the rarely used (thankfullly) styles in cinema whereby the camera gets closer or farther away from the subject, but the subject remains in the same focus and field of view.  It's a very dramatic effect when used properly - it's most likely going to be associated with one of those realisation moments in a film where the blood drains from the face of the main character as they finally understand the gravity of the situation.

For more reading just google dolly zoom, there's probably plenty of examples on youtube.

What we're interested in for this challenge though - is the best and most dramatic capture of the effect between two otherwise identical photographs.

For us amatuer photogs this is a fantastic opportunity to really test and get an understanding of perspective in the real world under the focus of a lens.

Feel free to banter about the challenge AND post entries in this thread, when it's all done I'll go through and put the entries alone in their own admiration and voting thread for the masses.

Rules

Deadline: Pumpkin o'clock - 31th October '09

The photo must be 100% your own work, and willing to be published site-wide.

If photo is larger than 800 pixels please link to it via a thumbnail or medium-res pic, or upload it as an attachment to your post

Photo should be taken in October '09 - honor system in place, if you have recent work which covers this it may be accepted

You are only allowed to submit one entry.  You can however change your entry at any time up to the deadline.

You are free to do post processing provided it doesn't relate specifically to manipulation of the challenge - we're looking for photography skills in this one, not photoshop

This competition is simply about photography - but the audience and voters will be subjective so keep the site demographic in mind if you must

Prize this month is simply that for the next month'ish you get top billing on the front page of AE (~140,000 visitors a month ATM) with a spiele and URL link to your site/portfolio PLUS a link at the top of the sidebar of every article view (3-6k per day) and a 728x90 banner at the top of the forum/site worth ~1,000 impressions a day, not to mention the requisite glory it claims to be AE photographer of the month (of course it means everyone knows you have no success with women but that's another story).

In future months I have some fantastic ideas for prizes with sponsors that hobby and semi-pro photographers will love, so stay tuned!

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Funny you bring this up, Ive been working lately with some videography guys and we have been discussing this technique, and its something i really enjoy playing with, i only have one problem with this Challenge.... I dont have a camera at the moment! Might have to do it old school and crack out the film body!
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Here's some video examples of the effect and how dramatic the difference can be:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv41W6iyyGs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv41W6iyyGs</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48R6-iIYHs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48R6-iIYHs</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vm54QL8iZc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vm54QL8iZc</a>

Offline dkabab

Should be an interesting challenge.... Love that effect in film.
Have done this a few times in the past. But new pics hey.... Guess i need a subject.... Waz?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Oh and thanks to everyone called "$member.name" - yeah I stuffed up the mail-out variables, thanks and sorry. :?

:doh: :p

Offline Gusto

I think what Ash is looking for in other words, is two photos with similar framing, but one close up with a wide field of view, and one far away and zoomed in (a narrow field of view) - (similar framing, not field of view).

What kind of distance range were you thinking of, Ash? cm? m? km? ;)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I think what Ash is looking for in other words, is two photos with similar framing, but one close up with a wide field of view, and one far away and zoomed in (a narrow field of view) - (similar framing, not field of view).

Sorry if I don't speak photog - I still use a dinky-cam and occasionaly wade into the murky "M" waters :scared:

But yeah, that's pretty much what I meant by:

...same scenario at different distances but similar framing...

What kind of distance range were you thinking of, Ash? cm? m? km? ;)

Completely open and subjective!

I took this photo a couple years ago at about 18cm:

Oneday I hope to try and take pics of the real thing at 18cm, 1.8m, 18m, and 180m..... :cool:

But if you have photos you took from a family bbq that also appear on Google Earth - that might just work...

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

Gah. I've got perfect shots for this of a 430 spider I shot a while ago (outside the timeframe, almost perfect...)...

...Where are they? On my broken f&*%&$"^*%&cken ext hd... :(
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.

Offline AshMan

• Drives: Whatever they give me to drive.

Offline cel

I really like this one, hope I can get something in while in Europe :)