Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Any more thoughts on the voting process?

When the challenge is over, do you intend to post another thread for voting, or would you like me to add a poll to the thread?  Two things to note - I'm not sure I can *add* a poll to an existing thread, but if an empty poll is posted to start with I can modify it - and I don't think this forum allows for viewing of who voted for what, even I as admin can't see that without trawling through the back-end database which isn't simple, so the bit about not voting for yourself may be moot.

Oh - one more thing about voting, think about the option of allowing people to have multiple votes - sometimes it may be relevant, sometimes not.

One thing that is kind of ingrained in many folk is that voting is something anonymous, which may have stopped a lot of people from voting for anything as it's not a semi-passive thing like selecting an option and clicking - you actually have to read the details, and type a response etc.  Doesn't sound like much, but it's a barrier nonetheless - not to mention the putting entries in order opens you to justification - not that you need to, but it's a psychological thing.

The poll option here will allow you to set multiple votes so you can vote for as many or as few as you choose - or as the poll-starter chooses, however of course we then lose the "weighting" system of people choosing in order.

Some people who truly can't choose might select everyone, and there's no way to stop an entrant from voting for themselves, however when it comes down to it just by entering you're kind of voting for yourself.  In all honesty I'd try to look at all the photos objectively and vote for them based on the pic - not the photographer, which means if I considered mine in the top three, I'd vote for it, and wouldn't if I didn't.

My thought is to just make it an anonymous poll and limit it to three selections - those who feel particularly tilted toward a single outright entry can vote for only one if they want, in the end the best entry will still have the most votes for it - it just might be a tighter race, however there should be a fair few more votes cast.  I'm not 100% on this idea, but think it's one of the better compromises.

Offline dkabab

what if all votes were cast to yourself, you could then tally them and give us the results at the end, that way its annoymous voting and we can still vote 1st 2nd 3rd.... im sure you are credible to most people on here to be trusted not to alter the votes.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Any more thoughts on the voting process?

How about appointing a "Returning officer"????

Someone who is not involved with the challenge and can be trusted not to disclose votes.
And who will not be able to vote themselves, just put the vote count together and post the results.

Votes could be PMed to them.

?????

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Those options still involve a ballot thingy and extra work for the voter, I want it to be as simple as possible.  I'm not particularly worried about people's (in)security on voting, if it comes to a third party ballot count I'd rather just let it be posting your vote in the thread.

I just think if it's kept simple there's a good chance we can get 150-200 votes - rather than a couple dozen of devoteees.

Offline CortinaD

One vote is only necessary IMO, it will make it easy to tally and fair provided voting for yourself is disallowed.

I also believe that there should be a time frame enforced on the winner to create the next topic to avoid delays between challenges.

Now we have one challenge done, if there is a tie, winner should be the person with the least challenge wins under their belt.

Offline dkabab

well im off to the city to take some photos.....   :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

well im off to the city to take some photos.....   :thumbsup:

The light display on the Rundle/Pulteney corner with cars going past would make for a reasonable subject.

Also - the xmas tree is up in Vic Sq now too.

Offline dkabab

good idea... might give them a go... if you feel like strolling down send me a message... (pm) can grab a drink if you want