Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
righto fellas - let's share our tips and ask questions about photography.

i'm mostly into cars, but anything is fine - any information that can help us enhance our art is good.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

i've been reading what i can on the net & experimenting, still don't understand anything tho  :o

from what i've found, the practical experience of having someone actually *show* you in the field is ten times more effective than reading about it.  i've sat there for hours reading photography stuff, but i learnt more in 3 minutes with Stuart (guy we met in Tassie) showing me just a couple of the different settings on the camera.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Offline 265T

from what i've found, the practical experience of having someone actually *show* you in the field is ten times more effective than reading about it.  i've sat there for hours reading photography stuff, but i learnt more in 3 minutes with Stuart (guy we met in Tassie) showing me just a couple of the different settings on the camera.

are you offering?  :D

i've been playing with shutter speeds atm to get the blurred background effect

here's a pic of my boxer puppy (i couldn't afford the car - had to settle for the dog)

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
The thing I've found with digital photography is that you can take a half decent shot and then let photoshop jazz it up - enhance the colouring, crop to the optimum angle and your almost a pro.  You still need half an idea of what you want out of the shot.

Back in the old days it took a lot more finess and time to create the shot. Plus you had to wait a couple of days for the ol' photo place to develop the shots.

Here's a recent fun digital shot - trying to get some nice angles.  Standard digital photo, then enhanced - 10% reduction in brightness, 10% reduction in contrast and cropped with black feather edging.

And here's a shot I took way back when cameras were cameras.  The monopod still comes in handy for action shots.  Back then it was all down to timing and waiting and taking lots of photos in the hope of getting one good one.

I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
check the reflection....

Better get the CSI techo's onto that one...  They should be able to rescue some parts of that image.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

are you offering?  :D

3mins is 2 1/2 mins too long for one of my lessons :o

my first rule is only shoot stuff that already looks good, makes the job that much simpler  :thumbsup:

i've been playing with shutter speeds atm to get the blurred background effect

cool, to do that i just put the camera on "portrait" mode (designed for weddings and crap), which automatically narrows the focal length (not sure if that's correct terms) to a very specific distance.

Image Image

Image Image

Offline 265T

The thing I've found with digital photography is that you can take a half decent shot and then let photoshop jazz it up - enhance the colouring, crop to the optimum angle and your almost a pro.  You still need half an idea of what you want out of the shot.

Here's a recent fun digital shot - trying to get some nice angles.  Standard digital photo, then enhanced - 10% reduction in brightness, 10% reduction in contrast and cropped with black feather edging.

i'm still experimenting with photoshop, i've only just worked out how to crop  :o (i'm useless with computers) i've mainly just been using the autocontrast button atm

i'm really struggling with getting nice angles & arty shots, i really love the pics Ash takes of badges, but i just can't manage to get anything close to it

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The thing I've found with digital photography is that you can take a half decent shot and then let photoshop jazz it up - enhance the colouring, crop to the optimum angle and your almost a pro.  You still need half an idea of what you want out of the shot.

i equate photography to steak... with a quality piece of meat you can do what you want to it and it will still probably turn out good, with a budget rump, even the best chef will still only make a poor meal out of it.

i look at a frame and make sure i take at least 10-20% more around the shot than what i'm actually after, once you have it on the computer it becomes clear how to crop it to make it really pop.

fwiw i do it the other way around, i find i like to increase the contrast a good 10-20% otherwise many shots can look just a little "washed out", this usually darkens the photo a bit so a tad more brightness can help.  apart from that and cropping, there's very little that i do in post-production to 90% of my shots.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

i'm still experimenting with photoshop, i've only just worked out how to crop  :o (i'm useless with computers) i've mainly just been using the autocontrast button atm

i almost never use photoshop except for when i need to actually manipulate the composition of the photo, i find Picasa to be really good for most stuff you want to do, and very quickly too.  it does non-destructive editing - in that all it does is sort of record the actions you are doing to the photo, then you export the pic in it's edited form and the original is maintained.  get yourself Picasa and check it out.

if i get time i'll do a quick vid of a simple edit.