Offline 265T

fwiw i do it the other way around, i find i like to increase the contrast a good 10-20% otherwise many shots can look just a little "washed out", this usually darkens the photo a bit so a tad more brightness can help.  apart from that and cropping, there's very little that i do in post-production to 90% of my shots.

so that's how you get the amazing colours in your pics? i feel that a lot of mine have that washed out look

Offline 265T

get yourself Picasa and check it out.

where do i get it? can i download

if i get time i'll do a quick vid of a simple edit.

that would be great - cheers

Offline 265T

3mins is 2 1/2 mins too long for one of my lessons :o

nope - your hired!

my first rule is only shoot stuff that already looks good, makes the job that much simpler  :thumbsup:

i see something & thing it would make a great pic, but i just can't reproduce it in a photo

cool, to do that i just put the camera on "portrait" mode (designed for weddings and crap), which automatically narrows the focal length (not sure if that's correct terms) to a very specific distance.

so do you shoot in the preset modes alot? i haven't tried the portrait mode yet, i've been using AV & manually adjusting the settings

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
so that's how you get the amazing colours in your pics? i feel that a lot of mine have that washed out look

i posted these examples on fchat a while back, will give you a good idea of how a decent photo becomes one that really pops with a couple simple adjustments.

---> http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136478230&postcount=43

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

so do you shoot in the preset modes alot? i haven't tried the portrait mode yet, i've been using AV & manually adjusting the settings

pretty much, most of my shots have been pretty hurried stop and shoot kinda things, in the "heat of the moment" i'm not confident enough with the settings to know i'm doing something useful.

Offline 265T

i posted these examples on fchat a while back, will give you a good idea of how a decent photo becomes one that really pops with a couple simple adjustments.

i was always amazed at the colours in your shots, i feel a lot better now knowing most of my shots look like the befores

is the colours you've brought out in the sky just from adjusting brightness & contrast too (the 1st pic, Mark next to the field & the last pic)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

is the colours you've brought out in the sky just from adjusting brightness & contrast too (the 1st pic, Mark next to the field & the last pic)

no sometimes on those i add a tinge to them, have to be selective and not do it too often, even looking at those i kinda think they might be overdone.  in Picasa it's called a "graduated tint".

Offline 265T

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline 265T

i've been having a bit of a play between posts

what do you think between the original & photoshopped versions? Am i on the right track or is it overdone?