Offline 265T

i'm heading out to Mallala Friday to take some pics

usually with motorsport i set my camera on "sports" mode,

what do you guys recommend? do you leave it on sports or manually set?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
what happened to the crap shots - why were they crap?

they just came out blurry, when i've taken heaps of pics under much the same circumstances which have been fine.

here's a few examples, you can sorta see there were some good pic opportunities missed:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

compare those to how crisp they are with just a little less zoom.

Offline 265T

time for some feedback on the Big Kid's Day Out pics? what do you guys think? (be honest)

of all the pics i took i'm only happy with a couple (one that i've posted & a couple i've since photoshopped to look reasonable)

i'm still struggling from a lack of artistic flair tho, i just can't seem to get the flattering angles yet - i guess that will come with experience

it was the first time i've used my camera at the track & i wasn't happy with the action shots, the full res pics look grainy to me, i left the camera on "sports" mode, could this be why?

does anyone have any advice for action shots?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Sorry what?  I was mesmerised by the pics just above  :D

haha... hang on, I'll go check out your pics again...

Offline 265T

Sorry what?  I was mesmerised by the pics just above  :D

don't worry....so was i  :rolleyes:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

It's hard to criticise, for one I don't have any really spectacular motion pics that I'm proud of so I'm still learning there too, the other thing is all your pics are "good", but not many stand out from the others.

You'll have to wait for if/when someone who actually knows what they're talking about jumps in on the subject - until then I'll do.  :p

FWIW I think it's a mistake using "sports mode" for this kind of stuff.  This may be totally wrong and if so then sorry, but as I understand it "sports mode" takes photos at a very fast shutter speed and overcompensates for light.  What you end up with is an action shot that has the whole frame in focus and is overexposed.

What you want to do is learn to pan well.  If you can keep the subject in perfect frame as it goes by in a normal shooting mode, you'll end up with a far more dramatic and well-exposed shot, where the subject itself is in almost perfect focus, but the background and wheels are in motion.

It'd be great if tdc911 or chewy7 would contribute here as they have a great deal more experience with panning shots.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I have a new camera coming, and I really want to know this stuff too as I'd like to learn enough before I spend a week at the Ferrari rally later this month so I can do some justice to the cars.

Here's a couple of my not-as-crap-as-usual action pics from the BKDO last year:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

i'm still struggling from a lack of artistic flair tho, i just can't seem to get the flattering angles yet - i guess that will come with experience

At least here I can weigh in with some thought... As to the question, all I can say is, yes. :)

I've been looking at 1,000's of pics of exotics nearly every day for a long time, so when I see a car I just automatically know what angle looks good.

Even so, you might think you've found THE angle, take 10 photos of it within a few inches/feet of the angle you think is great so you can figger it out later when you get home.

Of all your let's say "arty" shots, the only on that really is decent is this one:

The shadows are deep, the focus is great, the highlights are few but perfectly set.  Look at the way it accentuates the model, the badge, the headlights, those angry grill bits, yet the number plate which is often an unfortunate highlight in many photos is just part of the picture.   And in the background is some great colouring with the Ferrari - way understated so it adds beauty to the shot without distracting from the subject.

Most of your other arty shots suffer from bad lighting, mostly too much of it.  One trick I've found is to point your camera at something bright in the background or the sky *just* as you go to press the button a little to focus, this tricks the camera into reducing the light intake and can result in some really great dramatic shots, however that advice is worth absolutely stuff all if you know how to use the settings on your camera - which I don't. :\

Offline 265T

FWIW I think it's a mistake using "sports mode" for this kind of stuff.

What you end up with is an action shot that has the whole frame in focus and is overexposed.

i think your right, i'm really disappointed with the sports mode & that is how the shots are turning out

i'm curious as to what would be the best manual settings?

What you want to do is learn to pan well.  If you can keep the subject in perfect frame as it goes by in a normal shooting mode, you'll end up with a far more dramatic and well-exposed shot, where the subject itself is in almost perfect focus, but the background and wheels are in motion.

i almost got one - still a little blurry tho