Offline 265T

Here's a couple of my not-as-crap-as-usual action pics from the BKDO last year:

i've take pics at Mallala a few times in the past using a friends camera

positioning is really important for a decent shot, in the past i've been lucky enough to be aloud in the flag marshall's boxes

these can provide some great up close & dramatic shots - showing more of the cars attitude than just sitting along a straight or getting a car coming out of a corner WAY in the distance

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
i think your right, i'm really disappointed with the sports mode & that is how the shots are turning out

i'm curious as to what would be the best manual settings?

You'll have to wait till someone who knows how it works comes along.  :?

Here's a few action shots I've taken on PURELY point and shoot mode - absolutely zero setup to the shot as it just happened at the time.

(click any pic for larger version)

You can actually see this shot being taken in this video:
---> http://aussieexotics.com/videos/lamborghini-old-vs-new-5657/

...etc :)

Offline 265T

Even so, you might think you've found THE angle, take 10 photos of it within a few inches/feet of the angle you think is great so you can figger it out later when you get home.

this is what i've been doing - then i get home & find all 10 shots are crap  :doh:

Of all your let's say "arty" shots, the only on that really is decent is this one:

Really???

i was a little dissapointed with it & wouldn't have picked it - just shows how different people view things i guess

this is my favourite

followed by this one

One trick I've found is to point your camera at something bright in the background or the sky *just* as you go to press the button a little to focus, this tricks the camera into reducing the light intake and can result in some really great dramatic shots,

hmm...i'll have to give that a try

however that advice is worth absolutely stuff all if you know how to use the settings on your camera - which I don't. :\

LMAO

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Nearly fergot one of my faves because I haven't uploaded it to this gallery yet...

Offline 265T

Here's a few action shots I've taken on PURELY point and shoot mode - absolutely zero setup to the shot as it just happened at the time.

i'm starting to get the feeling photography has a big luck factor involved?

Nearly fergot one of my faves because I haven't uploaded it to this gallery yet...

this would have to be one of my fovourites too  :cool:

Offline 265T

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

this is my favourite

Colour is great, very rich and pure, but composition is lacking... hard to say how, but it feels like it's missing something on the right side, like it shouldn't be cropped there.  Also, I would crop out that sticker on the bottom left, it's distracting to the whole picture - it draws the eyes like a flash of panties.

followed by this one

Hard to be objective about that, you wouldn't believe how many rear-end photos of that car I have - it has to be something bordering on spectacular for me to notice it now. :p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

i'm starting to get the feeling photography has a big luck factor involved?

Refer to Ash's first rule of photography:
---> http://aussieexotics.com/forum/off-topic/photography-school-class-is-in-t523.0.html;msg5111#msg5111

my first rule is only shoot stuff that already looks good, makes the job that much simpler  :thumbsup:

But hey, I've spent a fair bit of high-speed/hard-driving seat time and taken many thousands of photos of amazing exotica yet have relatively little that's actually worth showing off - not like there hasn't been a good deal of luck factor involved.  If I were better at the time, I would have a lot more to show for it.

Offline 265T

Colour is great, very rich and pure, but composition is lacking... hard to say how, but it feels like it's missing something on the right side, like it shouldn't be cropped there. 

i know what your saying, it's been cropped too close to the car - doesnt give any depth to the pic?

unfortunately there was a car there  :(

i love the colours in the shot tho, the red & blue really appeal to me

the pic that you like looks bland to me - it all just blends together with a dash of red

Also, I would crop out that sticker on the bottom left, it's distracting to the whole picture - it draws the eyes like a flash of panties.

agreed  :o

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com
For panning shots I always put my camera in Tv mode (allowing adjustment of shutter speed) - usually set it to around 1/200 depending on light conditions. Obviously this results in less room for error in terms of shake/not panning accurately as shutter is open longer magnifying any imperfections. But if done correctly you get a nice blurred background with car in focus.

Does take a fair bit of practice though, to start with I just sat on the side of the road and took pics of normal cars in traffic. :)

First one i picked out: http://ozcarsightings.com/updates/apriltrackday/April%20Trackday%202007%20(22).jpg