Offline dkabab

more often that not its more creativity than skill that goes into some of those images.... i lack creativity :(

some good resources there though

Offline 98octane

Thanks Cel.  I'm looking for one on eBay - wish me luck!

A friend showed me a great trick on Photoshop last week - recording macros using the "Actions" feature.  I now have a macro for optimising contrast/exposure/saturation, one for sharpening/noise reduction, one for resizing and one for adding my watermark and resizing for the web.  Saves so much time - from 2-5 mins per photo for the web down to 30 secs!

Offline cel

Excellent, let me know how you go!

I've got several Actions setup as well, also for sharpening/selective colour/watermark, they definitely save a lot of time!

Another great thing to do is pinpoint what should be black and white by pressing "CTRL L"

It shows three Eyedropper Tools:

The first one you use to point out what should be black in your photo
The second one I never use but that is for grey
The third one is for white

Image: Post-processing tips n tricks - Photoshop, Picasa, etc

To show the difference, I haven't changed anything in these pics except for the bottom one I selected what should be properly black and white:

You might already be doing this but if not, it greatly enhances a photo :)

Offline cjay

Another trick is to hold down the option key when you move the sliders for shadows and highlights. The image changes and shows you when you have a solid black and a pure white  :)

Offline 98octane

Excellent, let me know how you go!

I've got several Actions setup as well, also for sharpening/selective colour/watermark, they definitely save a lot of time!

Another great thing to do is pinpoint what should be black and white by pressing "CTRL L"

It shows three Eyedropper Tools:

The first one you use to point out what should be black in your photo
The second one I never use but that is for grey
The third one is for white

To show the difference, I haven't changed anything in these pics except for the bottom one I selected what should be properly black and white:

You might already be doing this but if not, it greatly enhances a photo :)

I've never used that before - thanks!

How does your selective colouring macro work?  The way I usually do it is duplicating a layer, making the top one greyscale and using masking layer to show the colour of the background layer only where I want to show it.  Can be very time consiming!

Offline cel

Another trick is to hold down the option key when you move the sliders for shadows and highlights. The image changes and shows you when you have a solid black and a pure white  :)

Thanks cjay, I'll play around with that as well :)

98: The selective colouring Action is setup to duplicate the layer and bring up the hue/saturation box from where you can remove the colours you want from the image (by sliding the saturation for selected colour to -100)

Like this image, I've removed all colours but red:

And if you like, you can erase the reds you don't want  with the eraser tool.

Offline dkabab

i have quite a few actions setup in photoshop. mostly resizing. much easier to click 1 button than going though the menu - image size.... etc..

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I'd like to take some pics that are like old-school 70's/80's shades, what settings and post-op stuff should I be playing with?