Offline 98octane

Over the years, I've tried lots of different means of ensuring correct exposure for bright skies whilst maintaining correct exposure for a darker foreground subject.  But in some circumstances, whatever camera settings I use, the sky comes out bland (white or very light blue) whilst the foreground subject is correctly (or under) exposed.

I seek all and any advice for any post-production techniques for dealing with this.  I've tried adjustment layers and vignetting and adjusting exposure, shadow/highlights, levels etc.  I'm sure many of you have dealt with this successfully before.  I've seen examples of HDR/tone mapped images, and I'm willing to give this a go, but I don't know how to do it and I think they look a bit fake.

I offer this image for anyone to play with as an example:

Here's my best attempt at fixing the sky (adjustment to levels, exposure, shadows/highlight and gradient layer added):

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Good luck - basically.

Most of my favourite shots have included some clouds in the background.

However - do you use a polarising filter?

Later on I'll show examples of on (and set correctly) vs off - but for simplicity sake you could look at half way through my 2006 vs 2007 NT trips, in '06 I didn't have a filter, the difference is pretty remarkable for what it can do for an otherwise plain boring sky.

Offline 98octane

Good luck - basically.

Most of my favourite shots have included some clouds in the background.

However - do you use a polarising filter?

Later on I'll show examples of on (and set correctly) vs off - but for simplicity sake you could look at half way through my 2006 vs 2007 NT trips, in '06 I didn't have a filter, the difference is pretty remarkable for what it can do for an otherwise plain boring sky.

I use a CP filter sometimes.  Eg. this shot uses one (I probably didn't set it properly, but I was concentrating on getting the reflections on the car correct):

Yes, it enhances skies, but with photographing cars, it can change reflections/tones/glare unfavourably if you concentrate on enhancing skies.  And since it cuts half the light out, I find my camera sometimes underexposes the main subject.  So, if I don't have time to take multiple shots and fiddle with settings (i.e. when taking street spot shots), I don't use it.  For landscapes, I'll try a few with CP on, a few off.

Offline 265T

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline dkabab

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Have to admit I can't recall a sky breaking a photo.  It's usually framing, position, or reflections doing that.

For example, the first thing I noticed were the 2 or 3 people behind it being reflected in the bumper, and not the sky. :?

Offline CortinaD

If you had a bit of time you could use the bracket mode and then HDR them?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Have to admit I can't recall a sky breaking a photo.  It's usually framing, position, or reflections doing that.

For example, the first thing I noticed were the 2 or 3 people behind it being reflected in the bumper, and not the sky. :?

The parking sign gives me the shits in this photo, dunno why but it just does for some reason.

But with the reflections in the bumper, etc - most of the photos I have seen of Octane's are street sightings, so that would mean the things like these reflection are not easy to avoid???? It shouldn't happen it the shot was "set up" so to speak.(?)