Offline dkabab

this is how i generally do photoshoots. rotate the CPL and take several shots. then merge them together..... not always achievable for a street shot.

Offline 98octane

is the original picture RAW or JPEG?

jpeg.  I know I should shoot in RAW, but I haven't been doing it to save space (ie. when overseas).  Perhaps I should start shooting in RAW?

Offline 98octane

The parking sign gives me the shits in this photo, dunno why but it just does for some reason.

But with the reflections in the bumper, etc - most of the photos I have seen of Octane's are street sightings, so that would mean the things like these reflection are not easy to avoid???? It shouldn't happen it the shot was "set up" so to speak.(?)

Yes - with street pics I have to do the best with what I've got.  On a busy day at the beach, this was the best I could do within the few minutes the car was sitting there.  I can't do much about street signs, gaudy shops, etc except for trying to frame to minimise their impact.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I can't do much about street signs, gaudy shops, etc except for trying to frame to minimise their impact.

I forgive you.  :D

As you say there is not much that can be done with street pics, but some of them do look really awesome. I don't bother posting mine as they are just shit.  :o

Offline 98octane

BTW... here u go

How did you do that?

And how do you merge similar pictures (like your Mondial pics)?  Do they need to be framed identically (i.e. shot from a tripod).

Offline 98octane

If you had a bit of time you could use the bracket mode and then HDR them?

How do I do this?

Offline CortinaD

How do I do this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Your camera needs to support bracketing, thats why I got the D80.

I have never done HDR yet, but its definitely a solution to your problem if you are setting up shots.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Yes - with street pics I have to do the best with what I've got.  On a busy day at the beach, this was the best I could do within the few minutes the car was sitting there.  I can't do much about street signs, gaudy shops, etc except for trying to frame to minimise their impact.

So long as you're happy with the results or enjoy the process, then no prob.  :thumbsup:

How do I do this?

Start here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Your camera needs to support bracketing, thats why I got the D80.

I have never done HDR yet, but its definitely a solution to your problem if you are setting up shots.

Ooooh you beat me   :p

Offline dkabab

How did you do that?

And how do you merge similar pictures (like your Mondial pics)?  Do they need to be framed identically (i.e. shot from a tripod).

ok for the porsche pic i sorta cheated. just used the airbrush and painted a blue sky.  :D

as for the mondial. yes i use a tripod. i actually over shoot. shoot about 10 shots for each position. shoot under-even-over exposed, then turn the CPL and do it again. etc... this way i end up with everything i could need in post production. forground detail, mid and background.

then in photoshop i add them as layers, and using the masking tool, hide the bits i dont want. its easier said than done, but it is pretty basic. just time consuming. not something you would want to do with regular street shots

if you want me to do a step by step tutorial i might be able to put something together... but if you know photoshop. im sure you get what im talking about.

when shooting raw, you can recover a lot of missing info from the picture. if a shot is over exposed, you can still bring back detail etc...