Offline gsteiner

Is it allowed to shoot cars in public and upload the photo while showing the number plate? I ask this because I spot a lot of exotics and upload them to my flickr to show my photography/ post editing skills. I wish to use the images on my online portfolio however I will not sell these images - purely just to show people what I shot. Can I get in trouble for this?
Thanks!

Offline TomE

Is it allowed to shoot cars in public and upload the photo while showing the number plate? I ask this because I spot a lot of exotics and upload them to my flickr to show my photography/ post editing skills. I wish to use the images on my online portfolio however I will not sell these images - purely just to show people what I shot. Can I get in trouble for this?
Thanks!

Good question.

I notice that some spotters are now posting Facebook pictures of exotics sitting in peoples driveways or open garages which is very disrespectful.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I think nowadays, owners just have to accept that they are being seen and may be publicised.

If you invade private property to get sneaky shots of stuff, then that's another matter, but if your stuff can be seen, expect it to be photographed and put on the net.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
A few years back I used to use a company who would come around and wash my daily driver every week. The same young bloke would come around each time and he was a bit of a car nut so we got on pretty well. I had a few toys in the garage including my F50; but I looked after washing those. One day the young bloke asks me if I would take the F50 out of the garage and let him take a few photos. I said sure no problem, as long as they are for your own use and not put on the net or sent to anyone else. So he takes his photos and I think nothing more of it. Fast forward a year or so and the young bloke starts out in the car washing business for himself. Prints up some brochures featuring my F50 sitting in the driveway of my house and distributes them around his target area.
Shit meet fan, young bloke meet my lawyer.

Now when I am out in public in my cars I expect to be spotted and have photos taken. I have no control over that and as long as they are not being dicks about it I don't mind at all. Use those photos to promote your business and that's a whole different ball game.

Offline gsteiner

A few years back I used to use a company who would come around and wash my daily driver every week. The same young bloke would come around each time and he was a bit of a car nut so we got on pretty well. I had a few toys in the garage including my F50; but I looked after washing those. One day the young bloke asks me if I would take the F50 out of the garage and let him take a few photos. I said sure no problem, as long as they are for your own use and not put on the net or sent to anyone else. So he takes his photos and I think nothing more of it. Fast forward a year or so and the young bloke starts out in the car washing business for himself. Prints up some brochures featuring my F50 sitting in the driveway of my house and distributes them around his target area.
Shit meet fan, young bloke meet my lawyer.

Now when I am out in public in my cars I expect to be spotted and have photos taken. I have no control over that and as long as they are not being dicks about it I don't mind at all. Use those photos to promote your business and that's a whole different ball game.

Interesting to see a response from an actual owner, thanks for the reply.

So do you think it is a definite 'No-no' If i use shots of exotics on the street for my portfolio? Just double checking. Because In my case i see it differently to the guy you were talking about. He used it to promote a business however I wish to do this as a hobby - to build up a portfolio of cars I see around, rather than to sell/make money.

Cheers again

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

So do you think it is a definite 'No-no' If i use shots of exotics on the street for my portfolio? Just double checking. Because In my case i see it differently to the guy you were talking about. He used it to promote a business however I wish to do this as a hobby - to build up a portfolio of cars I see around, rather than to sell/make money.

Cheers again

Why not print some cards for yourself and talk to some owners and ask if they would be interested in allowing you to photograph their cars. Tell them that you would like to get into auto photography and you would like to build your portfolio. Say that youre new to it and will give them hi res copies of all the good photos that you take. Be up front and totally honest. Some will say no and some will say yes. That way your actual portfolio will be cars that you had permission to photograph. Dont feel rejected if people say no because some others will say yes, everyone is different. Go to some car car shows and club events, find the owners and ask them there. You might be able to do the photos on the spot.

Good manners and honesty will get you a long way. I had some jerk two months ago sit his kid on my aluminium bonnet for a photo at a show and wonder why my mate who was there went mental at him. You have to use your brains, that guy didnt have any.

Offline gsteiner

Why not print some cards for yourself and talk to some owners and ask if they would be interested in allowing you to photograph their cars. Tell them that you would like to get into auto photography and you would like to build your portfolio. Say that youre new to it and will give them hi res copies of all the good photos that you take. Be up front and totally honest. Some will say no and some will say yes. That way your actual portfolio will be cars that you had permission to photograph. Dont feel rejected if people say no because some others will say yes, everyone is different. Go to some car car shows and club events, find the owners and ask them there. You might be able to do the photos on the spot.

Good manners and honesty will get you a long way. I had some jerk two months ago sit his kid on my aluminium bonnet for a photo at a show and wonder why my mate who was there went mental at him. You have to use your brains, that guy didnt have any.

Thanks heaps, sounds like a real good idea..sorry about your bonnet haha, glad to say I'm definitely not the type of person to do that kind of thing..thanks for the response will keep it all in mind!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Cheers again

I don't think there is any problem taking photos of cars in an area that is normally accessible to the public and putting them on your website. There is no obligation to blank out number plates in this situation; but perhaps you could do it to avoid any potential problems. I see photos of my cars with plates showing on websites all the time and it doesn't worry me at all. On the other hand, if I saw that website using my car to endorse them or earn money from the image I would have an issue.

I took this photo of my oldest son and my F50 and posted it on the web for a laugh. It now appears on various websites all the time. It doesn't really worry me; but if I find someone trying to make a buck out of it there will be problems.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
If it's in public, it's fair game.   
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer