Offline gsteiner

I don't think there is any problem taking photos of cars in an area that is normally accessible to the public and putting them on your website. There is no obligation to blank out number plates in this situation; but perhaps you could do it to avoid any potential problems. I see photos of my cars with plates showing on websites all the time and it doesn't worry me at all. On the other hand, if I saw that website using my car to endorse them or earn money from the image I would have an issue.

I took this photo of my oldest son and my F50 and posted it on the web for a laugh. It now appears on various websites all the time. It doesn't really worry me; but if I find someone trying to make a buck out of it there will be problems.
Thanks very much again, makes more sense.. and very cute pic of your son haha. F50 was my favourite car to drive on need for speed high stakes back in the day. good times, thanks again for your help

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I know a guy who had an F40 "back in the day". He agreed to do an article and photoshoot for a motoring magazine, but stipulated that the photos could only be used for the article. He wasn't paid for doing this.

When the magazine came out there was an advertisement using one of those photos. The owner made mince meat of the magazine and got a very healthy fee. You just can't trust those bastards.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

Good manners and honesty will get you a long way. I had some jerk two months ago sit his kid on my aluminium bonnet for a photo at a show and wonder why my mate who was there went mental at him. You have to use your brains, that guy didnt have any.

That sucks,

But ask Scott about the time he had the F50 at a concourse in Perth and some dumb bitch comes along and starts opening the doors etc looking like she was about to take a seat in it, then when he tells her politely to 'f-off' she then starts with the barrage of perfectly acceptable questions like "what do you do for a living" etc.   If i hadnt seen it with my own eyes i wouldnt have believed it.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
"what do you do for a living" etc.

Well the answer to that is make money lol.

Almost everyone who works does it for money so... Feel free to use that smart ass reply to blatant gold diggers next time ;)
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Well the answer to that is make money lol.

I go one further and either say ' not much' or 'drive around all day'

But I guess it's human nature to try to judge one on their job/assets

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Often wondered about this myself, I feel self conscious if I take a pic of a car on the street, sort of like an invasion of privacy.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Often wondered about this myself, I feel self conscious if I take a pic of a car on the street, sort of like an invasion of privacy.

But it's not, it's a photo of a car that is registered purely for driving in public....  Registered cars are registered to be driven on public streets... If the owner doesn't want their car to be photographed, don't buy an exotic, don't take it out of your garage, don't register it, don't go cafe cruising, don't get shitty when a 15 year old kid takes a photo of the car...

I don't see the point of taking a photo of a car driving past and editing the numberplate out, then that car becomes exactly the same as all the other cars of its spec and model...

If it's private property, like the f50 example before, then that is wrong IMO, that's deception and breach of trust if invited onto the property, or trespassing/stalking if uninvited, but if that same f50 was driving around on public streets, then be prepared for photos to be taken and circulated around the web and there isn't a thing anyone can do about it unless it gets used for monetary gain along the way.

The people that complain that their car gets photographed on public streets just think they are something special...  IT's JUST A CAR!!!!    And what makes even less sense is when someone complains about their car number plates in public when they have personalised plates, if you want to lay low you Don't put personalised plates on a bright red Ferrari!!!.   

Can't remember exactly now as it was years ago, but there was a "fully sick" ricer, body kit, wheels, lambo doors, girly candy paint job (road registered show car), the numberplate was something along the lines of "4mirin" or "admire" or similar, someone took a photo of it on the streets, the owner chucked a roid raged rant threatening the photographer over shit...  It's a fucking show car and the number plates are telling you to admire the car...

Go figure lol
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I go one further and either say ' not much' or 'drive around all day'

But I guess it's human nature to try to judge one on their job/assets

I just tell people I have very wealthy parents.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline carl888

• Soap Dropper
  • Get her groggy, do her doggy

• Drives: OHOS
  • Name: Carl Jones
Yes, a vehicle displayed in the public domain is fair game.  How far you wish to push it is up to you.  A photograph of the front and rear is probably reasonable. Macro close ups of the badge is probably a little presumptuous unless at a car show.  The registration plate technically doesn't belong to the owner, if you look at the contract you only have the "Rights to display the plate" but it's probably not a good idea to argue this point on the side of the road!  Photographing cars in a private area, such as in a garage is a big no no unless you have permission. Although you own the copyright to these images, you may not use them for commercial purposes even if photographed in the public domain without permission.  You could however add them to an on line album for personal use.

My question to you would be what purpose would the photographs serve?  If it is simply to keep a record or the car then photograph away. If its to actually build a folio of professional images then I would suggest you do a deal with the owner as others have suggested.  The Internet is littered with car sightings at shows and in the street and they all look the same.

Is it allowed to shoot cars in public and upload the photo while showing the number plate? I ask this because I spot a lot of exotics and upload them to my flickr to show my photography/ post editing skills. I wish to use the images on my online portfolio however I will not sell these images - purely just to show people what I shot. Can I get in trouble for this?
Thanks!

Offline 98octane

As far as I'm aware, there's no legal impediment to using photographs of cars in public for commercial purposes. It's just good manners and common sense to get the owner's permission.

The exception might be if the person using the photos implies an association between their business and the car owner (or his business).