Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Sony RX100 easily!

except it costs more than a base DSLR and some micro 4/3 kits, so you need to qualify what you mean by best

Offline app

Thanks guys.

I said best generally as when I had a point-and-shoot back 5 years ago there weren't really many ways to distinguish a point-and-shoot based on use and purpose. But to clarify the important features in order:

1. Image quality (in different environments, not just a particular environment)
2. Consistency in different environments
3. Adjustable functions. I realise it's a point-and-shoot, but anything to make the photo stand out better is good.
4. Easy to use (features)
5. Weight and size

Travel is probably not a consideration as in my view you can travel with any point-and-shoot.

Offline dkabab

most p&s cameras are ok.... but nothing special. you will find cameras from the $100 -$400 range generally perform the same, with a few exceptions. there are several cameras on the market that cater for the enthusiast and i guess it depends on how flexible they want the camera to be... most of the good quality cameras only have 2-5x zoom.... the lenses are great, and generally big sensors so they can capture more detail and perform a lot better in low light.

if it has to fit in a pocket, the following cameras would be my choice of high end compacts.

Sony RX100, Canon G15, Canon S110

if it can be a little bit bigger, the Fuji X20 is a fantastic camera, but wont fit in your pocket too comfortably.

if you want a sony RX100, i have 2 of them for sale....  :o

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve

Offline app

most p&s cameras are ok.... but nothing special. you will find cameras from the $100 -$400 range generally perform the same, with a few exceptions. there are several cameras on the market that cater for the enthusiast and i guess it depends on how flexible they want the camera to be... most of the good quality cameras only have 2-5x zoom.... the lenses are great, and generally big sensors so they can capture more detail and perform a lot better in low light.

if it has to fit in a pocket, the following cameras would be my choice of high end compacts.

Sony RX100, Canon G15, Canon S110

if it can be a little bit bigger, the Fuji X20 is a fantastic camera, but wont fit in your pocket too comfortably.

if you want a sony RX100, i have 2 of them for sale....  :o

Thanks. I'm starting to think RX100 is the way to go after looking at some reviews online.

How much is it at your store?

Offline dkabab

Thanks. I'm starting to think RX100 is the way to go after looking at some reviews online.

How much is it at your store?

$799rrp
Currently $718
Best you'll find in aus is about $680.

I'll sell u one brand new in box. Sony Australia stock and warranty, $550

Offline app

$799rrp
Currently $718
Best you'll find in aus is about $680.

I'll sell u one brand new in box. Sony Australia stock and warranty, $550

Sounds good thanks mate. :thumbsup:

Thanks once again for your help and everyone else that contributed.

I'll PM you.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Question for Dave

My nephew ( 14 years old) wants an SLR.  All I know about is the upper level canons so I'm not going to recommend those to him..

Whats a decent entry level SLR with decently priced lenses?

Offline dkabab

Question for Dave

My nephew ( 14 years old) wants an SLR.  All I know about is the upper level canons so I'm not going to recommend those to him..

Whats a decent entry level SLR with decently priced lenses?

Forgot to reply to this....

Entry level there's lot of choice, but it depends on how advanced he is as a user.  For under $700 things like the Nikon d3200 18-55mm are ok. For around $1000 the Olympus OM-D is fantastic.

Any more and you can pick between things like the d5200, 700d or go higher to d7100 or 7d.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Forgot to reply to this....

Entry level there's lot of choice, but it depends on how advanced he is as a user.  For under $700 things like the Nikon d3200 18-55mm are ok. For around $1000 the Olympus OM-D is fantastic.

Any more and you can pick between things like the d5200, 700d or go higher to d7100 or 7d.

Thanks Dave,

I did suggest the OM-D, in the end he ended up getting the canon 600D twin lens kit.  Probably a smart move sticking to canon as he can use my lenses if he has the need.