Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Meh:
http://www.news.com.au/travel/feature/theres-nothing-like-australia-photo-finialists/story-fn4cjal3-1225883037557

A MOODY image of Sydney's Harbour Bridge, a photo of buskers in a Melbourne laneway and a picture of an unusual rock formation on South Australia's Kangaroo Island will be among the images taken by ordinary Australians which will help sell the country to the world.

They are among the eight state finalists in Tourism Australia's There's Nothing Like Australia photo contest, which were chosen out of nearly 30,000 entries.

Other winning entries include a photo of hot air balloons over Canberra, a scenic image of Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and people in Cathedral Gorge in Western Australia.

The shots:
http://fw.news.com.au/travel/galleries/gallery-e6frflw0-1225882871999

etc.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Or is there?

1: Photoshoped  big time. (Lived in Sydney most of my life and that is photoShop to the max), great looking pic though...

2: I think that is a great shot (too bad only 2 little lane ways in the whole of Australia have this type of culture and look and both are situated in Melbourne)

3: Could be mistaken as a pic off the UK coastline....

I like the first 2 pics as pictures, they don't represent Australia though.... The 3rd pic doesn't look special at all, and really landscape is all we really have that is worth visiting from anoter country for. There are so many better landscape pics that represent Australia (ones that don't look cold).
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline 98octane

Or is there?

1: Photoshoped  big time. (Lived in Sydney most of my life and that is photoShop to the max), great looking pic though...

2: I think that is a great shot (too bad only 2 little lane ways in the whole of Australia have this type of culture and look and both are situated in Melbourne)

3: Could be mistaken as a pic off the UK coastline....

I like the first 2 pics as pictures, they don't represent Australia though.... The 3rd pic doesn't look special at all, and really landscape is all we really have that is worth visiting from anoter country for. There are so many better landscape pics that represent Australia (ones that don't look cold).

+1  An accurate assessment of these pics.  I used to have lunch in Degraves St every day (I now make my own  ;)).  It's not that special.  Take me to Paris any day!

Offline a.taylor

1: Photoshoped  big time.

I wouldn't have said so. It would have had some tweaks but mostly just good effect from a long exposure in my eyes.

Couldnt agree more on No. 3 though, really no all that interesting.

Offline Laminator

• https://www.facebook.com/photoesel/

mostly just good effect from a long exposure in my eyes.

+1... perhaps a little saturation but that isn't really edited much.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
either way you will never see anything like that with your own naked eyes.....
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline dkabab

a little bit of tweaking? you have no idea.... thats HDR all the way to 11

Offline a.taylor

you have no idea.... thats HDR all the way to 11

I was a little taken aback by that claim...

So I jumped in the car and shot up to sydney (from wollongong) to see for myself. I think given the right clouds its feasible that the photo has had only minor work. That said i will concede that the sky may be the work of photoshop.

The photo i took is straight from the camera only a crop to match it up with the original a little more closely.

30 secconds without a boat cruising across the shot was hard to come by.

Offline 98octane

I was a little taken aback by that claim...

So I jumped in the car and shot up to sydney (from wollongong) to see for myself. I think given the right clouds its feasible that the photo has had only minor work. That said i will concede that the sky may be the work of photoshop.

The photo i took is straight from the camera only a crop to match it up with the original a little more closely.

30 secconds without a boat cruising across the shot was hard to come by.

a.t, 10/10 for effort and dedication!

I still think it's HDR.  The sky is much brighter, as is the lighting under the bridge span and on the bridge towers.  Apart from this, the whole image has been saturated with warm colours all the lights are very yellow.

Offline a.taylor

The more I look the more I agree. The sky and the underside of the bridge really are quite a bit brighter arent they.

The M3 makes the cruise up the freeway easy and blasting back down through the national park at night when it is empty is worth the drive by itself ;-)