Offline duncast

Yeah sure, you can borrow my $500k car and my time for free so you can promote yourself. Seems perfectly reasonable to me :rolleyes:

What's wrong with this picture ?

:scratchchin:

You get the images in return? same sort of thing as weddings yknow.

Some people like the idea of having a nice photo on their wall of their memories, their families, their car, whatever. Others just don't see the value in it, and either way is fine, different strokes

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Do a bit of research on what it would cost to rent a Ferrari, Lamborghini etc for a day and then add on the owners time. Look up the daily rate that Movie companies pay for use of a car as a prop.

Even at commercial photography rates for name snappers you're way behind. The reality is you are asking strangers to do YOU a favour by loaning you a car to boost your profile. And then you are going to do them a favour by charging them a reduced rate for a few happy snaps ?  Let me guess generation Y ?

FFS you're only about the 500th person to offer the same deal BTW.

Offline duncast

Do a bit of research on what it would cost to rent a Ferrari, Lamborghini etc for a day and then add on the owners time. Look up the daily rate that Movie companies pay for use of a car as a prop.

Even at commercial photography rates for name snappers you're way behind. The reality is you are asking strangers to do YOU a favour by loaning you a car to boost your profile. And then you are going to do them a favour by charging them a reduced rate for a few happy snaps ?  Let me guess generation Y ?

FFS you're only about the 500th person to offer the same deal BTW.

Apparently my target clientèle was lost on you then. I've done short stints with companies like Atkins photography who cover car events such as the rock and roll estedford at Birdwood and what not, its always astounded me how much people will pay for crappy true happy snaps of their cars printed there and then on officeworks photo paper.

I figured there'd be a market for someone a bit better versed with a camera and multimedia techniques to offer their services to these same people to develop a more presentable image to replace that piece of crap they got at some car show. Or simply to those who have never considered having a professional shoot done for their car.

I guess the same comparison can be made for portraiture, people usually pay quite a bit for their own photos taken, but if you're a celebrity, you'd expect to be paid for your fame. Same with cars I suppose.

Terribly sorry if others have come before me, but such is the nature of internet forums.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

No disrespect intended for the OP but here's the reality.  If you own a regular car, you are hardly likely to want to have a pic on the wall any more than you would shoot your fridge or stereo and hang it.  If you own a supercar, you can afford to pay for a professional photographer to shoot it but you don't because every amateur photographer in town is shooting it at every opportunity and at least one of these pics will be good enough to print - if you should ever want to hang it on the wall.  Personally, I'm happy to pay a pro for family pics (at least when the kids were little and a novelty :p) but I have no desire to see pics of my Ferrari on the wall when I see the car every day anyway.  If I did, I'd ask the amateurs for their best pic which they'll give me for free out of gratitude for the opportunity to shoot my car.

So, if I'm not your target market, who is?  The only guys I know who get paid for shooting cars are hired by car magazines and work bloody hard for not much money.  I can't help with any other ideas.

Offline j15

LOL, no better way to drum up business than to tell your potential customers that they've got it all wrong.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Where's Richie?

He just had a photoshoot done by a snappy....

any input from him?

I can see SOME value both ways.

I do know a LOT of people, who owned some pretty special cars, and drove them a fair bit, but actually don't have many great pics to visualise the memories.

I'm one of them.

I've had epic drives in my 512BB, and a few good ones in 512TR and even some other cars I didn't own but drove a lot. But I only have pics to go with a small fraction of my experiences and cars.

In a way, it makes the personal side of the memories even better, but life is meaningless unless shared IMO.

I don't have any pics of my 348.... best sweep that one under the carpet :tilt:

But my Lancia, Getz and Radical SR3... I do have some nice pics ;)

Offline duncast

If you own a regular car, you are hardly likely to want to have a pic on the wall any more than you would shoot your fridge or stereo and hang it.  If you own a supercar, you can afford to pay for a professional photographer to shoot it

Are there no cars in-between this? I'm thinking the people who spend more time than money on their cars could be willing to have a photo shoot done. Case-in-point are the people that attend car shows with their hot rods and heritage cars.  Hell from this post, and others like it I've had people enquire about their HSV wagons and R33 Skylines being shot.

Not sure how I'm not a pro photographer btw, not to too my own horn, but I'm quite well qualified. Just haven't had much of an opportunity to market myself with cars yet.

The only guys I know who get paid for shooting cars are hired by car magazines and work bloody hard for not much money.

Hmm, the guys I know who photograph promo images for mazda aren't exactly paupers. Also those who work at Orange lane studios, or at Aspect seem to get by pretty well, but they aren't shooting for mags, they are doing exactly what I'm trying to do, but they're a bit more established in the area.

I can see SOME value both ways.

Thanks Ferrarifixer, I had no intention of coming here and causing hostility. I'm simply doing what everyone who has made it somewhere with their goals started out doing.

• Soap Dodger

Forums thrive on hostility. It's what keeps them interesting.

Who cares about "getting along" with cyber particles?

You've copped some, because you've appeared out of no-where, and first up you've got your hand out with a empty cup.....

My cup floweth over, but I still get hostility, except from Mondi. Maybe you should get in a studio with Mondi and his Lotus .

Mondi is good in a bad way and bad in a good way, but I really wish he'd (and tdc911 and fl430) get over his (their) fixation with who my daddy is, just because they always hear that question during their own sexual adventures.

Who cares who my daddy is? And why is sex a good time to ask?

• Soap Dodger

Would anyone ELSE like their car shot....

I'm here to help....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puY5cH9xaWk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puY5cH9xaWk</a>

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Are there no cars in-between this? I'm thinking the people who spend more time than money on their cars could be willing to have a photo shoot done. Case-in-point are the people that attend car shows with their hot rods and heritage cars.  Hell from this post, and others like it I've had people enquire about their HSV wagons and R33 Skylines being shot.

You might be on to something here.  I think the best group to target are people who have put a lot of personal effort modifying or restoring a car.  That is worth recording for posterity.

Not sure how I'm not a pro photographer btw, not to too my own horn, but I'm quite well qualified. Just haven't had much of an opportunity to market myself with cars yet.

I am referring to you as a pro.  I'm saying I don't need your kind because I've got plenty of excellent amateur shots available to me if I want.

Hmm, the guys I know who photograph promo images for mazda aren't exactly paupers. Also those who work at Orange lane studios, or at Aspect seem to get by pretty well, but they aren't shooting for mags, they are doing exactly what I'm trying to do, but they're a bit more established in the area.

Fair enough - I don't know these people.  Maybe you should be talking to their customers.