Offline maybe porshe

Hi All,

Just Joined so I:

Thought I would call in and seek some advice if I may,

Am looking at purchasing a 1979 Porsche 924 5 speed for around $5000 (will get it for less).

It has done 53,000 km - supposedly in very good condition
Sept 2010 rego.

Owners comments:
Paint and interior in very good condition Mechanically very sound and reliable Service history back to original owner Used daily, fun to drive and very reliable Recently recored radiator, new master cylinder,new water pump and battery The engine was fully reconditioned in 2005 Cash only

Note: Does this seem a bit strange (The engine was fully reconditioned in 2005) for a vehicle with 53,00 on the clock, and one would imagine that it would have been much less 4 yrs ago

Not interested in the speed thing more interested in a bit of fun and reliability

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated

Rich

Offline waz356

53,000km in 31 years is 1700km/year - hardly a daily driver. Unless he's saying it's done that mileage since the new engine went in.

Engine came out of an Audi van - and struggles in a 924.

They're well built and handle well (for what they are) but $5k would be top dollar for any 924.

Also didn't think the '79's were a 5 speed. You might want to check that.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Just to add to Waz's comments as well:

Money pit..........

Offline maybe porshe

53,000km in 31 years is 1700km/year - hardly a daily driver. Unless he's saying it's done that mileage since the new engine went in.  That could be it

Engine came out of an Audi van - and struggles in a 924.
When you say struggles do you mean for staight out speed or struggles under pretty normal every day conditions.

They're well built and handle well (for what they are) but $5k would be top dollar for any 924.
Yes I agree I would put the pressure on for closer to $4,000 if I buy it

Also didn't think the '79's were a 5 speed. You might want to check that.
According to Redbook there is a 4 & 5 speed version

Rich

Offline maybe porshe

Just to add to Waz's comments as well:

Money pit..........

= Always breaking down or annoying things that cost $$$$$$$$ ?????

Rich

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Well sort of:

if it needs paint and other restoration work it is going to cost money. Paint work is not cheap, most things you need to do to one of these is not going to be cheap. Servicing, common parts that wear out, etc etc are all a lot more expensive because of the brand name.

So it is very easy to over capitalise on something like this.

It will not matter how good the seller says the paint and interior is, the thing is quiet a few years old now so it is going to need work. 

You buy it for $4k and spend $5k on it, at the end of the day it will still only be worth $4k.

Don't mean to be a wet fish but just something to think about.

Offline maybe porshe

Well sort of:

if it needs paint and other restoration work it is going to cost money. Paint work is not cheap, most things you need to do to one of these is not going to be cheap. Servicing, common parts that wear out, etc etc are all a lot more expensive because of the brand name.

So it is very easy to over capitalise on something like this.

It will not matter how good the seller says the paint and interior is, the thing is quiet a few years old now so it is going to need work. 

You buy it for $4k and spend $5k on it, at the end of the day it will still only be worth $4k.

Don't mean to be a wet fish but just something to think about.

I hear what you are saying and appreciate the straight talk, I might give it a miss

Rich[/color]

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Why don't you think about a 911????

Sounds like you have a soft spot for the Porsche, give yourself something to aim for.

Even if you have to save for a bit.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Naysayers. It's 4K... geehbus. Buy the thing, thrash the crap out of it, tell all the ladies you have a porsche. There is no reason to buy one if you don't want to brag a bit about the badge. What else are you going to get for 4K that's even slightly exciting to punt around?
C'mon, do it!

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
You'd have to be silly to think that you'd need to repaint a $4k car, as allan said it's a $4k car.

Saying that I'm more partial to the 944....

edit* mind you you'd be silly to spend the $4k if it's all you can afford. Get something more reliable.