Offline siu_loong_bao

Hi All,

I am currently residing in Dubai and own a 2008 Cayman S Sport. I am doing some sums at the moment to determine if it was worth while importing it to Aust under the Personal Import Scheme and doing a LHD to RHD conversion.

I don't think Porsche Aust has brought any of the Cayman S Sports over to Aust, hence, if successful, mine will be the 1st and last (crossing fingers). There are only 700 of these worldwide.

Does anyone know of a good coversion place that they can tell me to go calling?

Email me at siu_loong_bao@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

With the newly revised and improved 2009 Cayman now out, I doubt that it would be an economic move to import and modify a 2008 car for RHD.   Mind you, if the stories of high end cars being dumped at Dubai airport have any truth, I guess any loss is relative.

Offline siu_loong_bao

I would agree with you there. However, it's a limited edition collector's item...regardles of the new model that has come out (very similar in looks anyway and a revised injection system to pump out 320hp), my Cayman S Sport will be better compared with the Cayman S as it's a limited edition with the car number stamped on a plaque (amongst other exclusives). It's now a matter of doing my sums.

I can tell you that there is no way that I can ever afford a new porka in Aust, so I am trying to expore my opportunities while I can.

In term of so many cars being 'dumped' at the dubai airport, this is true. But wait until all these debt collectors go pursue these people with no mercy...The banks in dubai have already started to lend again, so car loans will continue and the chances of deafulters dumping cars is lesser.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'm sure your Sport is a nice car but I can assure you it will be the least wanted Cayman in Australia when prospective buyers discover it started life in Dubai and has had a conversion. 

Seriously, drop it for what you can get now and bring your dollars to Australia and start bargaining for a new 2009 Cayman S.  A plan involving personal importation and RHD conversion will lead to tears.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

A plan involving personal importation and RHD conversion will lead to tears.

Exactly!!

There is no listing in the register at this time for any Porsche vehicles to be RAWS(ed). I guess because we have "almost" the same models here as anywhere else(??).
And there is no listing for anyone who can do a RHD conversion!!!

I have spoken to someone briefly who was going to go down this path for his Personal import from the USA.
He was told that he would have to send the car to the UK to have the conversion done there and then bring it here as a PI.
The car would go thru as a PI but because it has been converted it would need to be fully engineered here before being allowed to be rego'ed and that would also require compliance(and the whole idea of the PI is to avoid this).

Take mhh's advice. It will be a very, very costly exercise and will cause lots of pain.
If it was already RHD then it may have been worth thinking about.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

If you are hell bent on giving this a go, these guys have been suggested - but I know nothing about them.

http://www.autohaus911.com/