Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Yes it was, but not lightweight, so not deserving of RS name.

But they do employ the lightweight philosophies.  Seats, carpet  trim etc. It's just that clearly the base package with metzger and g96.96 wighed more than a C2.   If specced like a C2 the gt3 would have been heavier again.

So it is a lighter weight version already to homologate it for racing.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

But isn't that technically what the GT3 is to homologate it for the racing class?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_GT3

GT3 was just RS by a different name.

Then the marketing people decided to kick it up a notch and make some extra coin by revitalising the RS moniker

In my view, the GT3 RS should be the only one on offer. It is lighter than the standard GT3., and is therefore the only successor to the 2.7 RS. BTW, I'm only talking about 996 and 997... I lost interest in 991. I have NFI if a 991 RS is lighter than a standard 991 GT3.

Offline tdc911

But they do employ the lightweight philosophies.  Seats, carpet  trim etc. It's just that clearly the base package with metzger and g96.96 wighed more than a C2.   If specced like a C2 the gt3 would have been heavier again.

...however the GT3 RS weighed less than the GT3.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

We may have to agree to disagree, Looney. :)

Offline looney

It's just a spirited discussion about what the rs was.

GT3 is the spiritual successor to rs in that it is the homologation version.

The RS badge was then just whored out by Porsche in 2003 as a money making exercise. RS is no longer what it was it's just an excuse to gouge punters for $$$

I agree the rs spec is what the GT3 should always be.  But the gt3 still did have stripped interior removed electrical items thinner windows and insulation etc. So in spirit the 98 GT3 was the successor to the 96RS  IMO

Offline tdc911

Unfortunately, the RS moniker being used only on the homologation and racing models died many years ago.

Offline looney

Unfortunately, the RS moniker being used only on the homologation and racing models died many years ago.

Yup. 

So back to the original comment from scud. a GT4 RS Is no more of an insult to the RSbadge  as a GT3 RS or GT2 RS is.

RS is just a marketing ploy now :(

I just wish manufacturers made the best car they can straight out. But we all know it's a tough world out there and they need to make $$$ so always make something that can still be easily improved upon.

Offline tdc911

Yup. 

So back to the original comment from scud. a GT4 RS Is no more of an insult to the RSbadge  as a GT3 RS or GT2 RS is.

RS is just a marketing ploy now :(

I just wish manufacturers made the best car they can straight out. But we all know it's a tough world out there and they need to make $$$ so always make something that can still be easily improved upon.

Still disagree. The RS badge still stands for something and part of that is a quantifiable weight saving. For what it is worth, I don't agree with Scud either.

Offline looney

Still disagree. The RS badge still stands for something and part of that is a quantifiable weight saving.

I love them all :) 

Offline tdc911

I love them all :)

As do I. I agree with most here that the RS badge has become diluted but think that a GT4 RS has the potential to fulfill the original RS philosophy, if Porsche execute it properly.