Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Gents.
I need to order some more Tyres.
I currently have Michelin ps2 and have been quite happy but want a bit mor grip without going to the cup Tyres.

I thought of the Michelin super sport but they don't make the size in the rears.
I then Thought of putting the super sport on the front and the ps2 on the rear.
My logic on this was they it would also help get the car to turn in better as that is its biggest downfull.

I requested a quote from tyre rack and they came back with this

Thank you for your inquiry. When dealing with these high performance Michelin tires, Michelin has given us explicit instructions that these tires not be mixed on the same vehicle. While the Pilot Super Sport is a superior tire, and regrettably not available in the rear size, mixing them from front to back is not a really good idea. The PS2 tires in the rear would negate any benefit of the Pilot Super Sport tires in the front. And the handling with this combination would not be good. Michelin tested this themselves, and came to the conclusion that it's a bad idea.

However, they do make the PS2 in the front size to match the rear, so I'll give you a quote for that. The fronts are $281 each and the rears are $488 each. Shipping for all 4 would be $373.97, making your total $1,911.97. One other thing I must mention: due to recent changes in the import process for tires, you may be subject to a $40 inspection fee by Australian customs. We do provide all of the necessary paperwork, however they are taking extra steps with tires these days. It is a charge we have no control over.

If you'd like to place this order, please let me know and we can start the process. Thanks!

Best Regards,

-Tucker

Sizes are. 225-40-18 / 295-30-18

Thoughts???
Cheers

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Interesting on the customs inspection. Presumably looking for compliance with Australian design rules. Wonder what happens if they decide they don't comply  :scratchchin:

I have not come across this before and I have imported half a dozen times in recent years.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
I would also go with the recommendation on not mixing the tyres front to back.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I know many will disagree with this, but I'd prefer to pay more and have a local tyre shop supply and fit the tyres. That way you save time to make money in your business instead of running around, and you have easy recourse if there's a problem with the tyres. I needed a set of new Pirelllis replaced due to a manufacturing defect and it was Bob Jane's problem.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

The custom inspection was an interesting comment.

I will also be getting prices from a couple of tyre shops here but wanted to get a base line to start from.
I also seem to get quite varied opinions from local tyre guys.

My big problem is the size of my Tyres   I can't find a set that has a bit more grip than the ps2.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

There hasn't been any memos or bulletins from Customs about tyres that I have seen for a long time. I know I have been stung an extra AQUIS inspection fees before but that was on tyres in a container not coming in via mail order. It was something to do with some DAFF directive at the time, it was a few years ago now....

I agree with mhh as well but I did mail order my last set of bikes tyres as the price was significantly less and as they were way under $1000 I didn’t pay GST/duties.

It does help to have friends in the industry as well, I haven’t paid RRP for tyres in a long time.

Brenton, PM me if you want me to get some prices for you.....

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy

My big problem is the size of my Tyres   I can't find a set that has a bit more grip than the ps2.
PS2 is old now, you need to upgrade to a Play Station 3 for more grip & speed.

Or get something Italian :D

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
I know many will disagree with this, but I'd prefer to pay more and have a local tyre shop supply and fit the tyres. That way you save time to make money in your business instead of running around, and you have easy recourse if there's a problem with the tyres. I needed a set of new Pirelllis replaced due to a manufacturing defect and it was Bob Jane's problem.

Last this I would want is the insurance company declining my claim due to imported tyres.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Try PS3 tyres.

And have a more aggressive wheel alignment done to the front.

Lower the front if possible, and add some negative camber.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

Mondi cheers for the offer will pm if I get to that.

Jon. Funny fellow.
I don't believe in having anything Italian untill I can have it with my 911 so I have a car to drive while the Italian beauty in being repaired  :p
Ps3 also don't come in my size and yes they are old tech that is why I want something newer.

Problems if I keep to the sizes.