Offline cr500

It might sound like a silly question to those in the know, but I havent had much to do with Porsches. What is the difference between the 911 and the Cayman?   

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It might sound like a silly question to those in the know, but I havent had much to do with Porsches. What is the difference between the 911 and the Cayman?

www.porsche.com

See ya!

Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
www.porsche.com

See ya!

I've noted a bit of a trend developing in some of your responses. Have you been appointed as the new AE admin department manager?  ;)

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
The number of questions asked lately by nubes that could be googled in seconds has become a joke.
I think MHH left a very polite and correct response.

And just to continue that politeness a Cayman is a Boxster that had a roof welded on it and Porsche thought it looked good and went with it.

Always make sure you order an R with the Porsche Doppelkupplung with Sport Plus.  :thumbsup:

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
To add further advice:

One is rear engined

One is mid engined

one was designed by the marketing department

one articulates the essence of the brand..........

Offline cr500

Thanks for the heads up anotherforumuser and 986986. I had looked through the Porsche website which gives all sorts of info on the car and all the usual marketing blurb. I looked on wikipedia and other sights which gave all sorts of specs,reviews,tests,timeline etc, but didnt give any info on what the difference is between the two.

Offline LouisVu

Big different!

911 - 4 Seat 2 door with special rear-engined "Engine at back", Could be Coupe or Cabriolet or Targa (clear glass hard top)

Cayman - 2 Seat 2 door, Coupe Only - mid-engined  like Ferrari F430 ^^

BOXSTER - 2 Seat Convertible Only

we can say "Cayman Convertible" called Boxster or "Boxster coupe" called Cayman , they both are kind of similar spec !

Correct me if i was wrong?

Thanks

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
Big different!

911 - 4 Seat 2 door with special rear-engined "Engine at back", Could be Coupe or Cabriolet or Targa (clear glass hard top)

Cayman - 2 Seat 2 door, Coupe Only - mid-engined  like Ferrari F430 ^^

BOXSTER - 2 Seat Convertible Only

we can say "Cayman Convertible" called Boxster or "Boxster coupe" called Cayman , they both are kind of similar spec !

Correct me if i was wrong?

Thanks

Your right except that the Cayman is nothing more than a cynical marketing exercise... the capabilities of the car are potentially massive, however Porsche have always 'tethered' its capability to not eat into 911 territory...... plus IMO it looks a bit girly......

Offline carmooch

• Name: George

Your right except that the Cayman is nothing more than a cynical marketing exercise... the capabilities of the car are potentially massive, however Porsche have always 'tethered' its capability to not eat into 911 territory...... plus IMO it looks a bit girly......
Totally agree. Great model which has been muzzled so as not to bite its bigger brother.