Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Your right except that the Cayman is nothing more than a cynical marketing exercise... the capabilities of the car are potentially massive, however Porsche have always 'tethered' its capability to not eat into 911 territory...... plus IMO it looks a bit girly......

Well how do you untethter it ?

Offline cr500

Well, since I was younger I wanted the 911 and never realy went for the Boxter, so I will be looking for a 15-20 year old 911, just as a fun car to modify a bit. I thought the Cayman was just a lower speced 911 so I was wrong there.

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
Well how do you untethter it ?

Depends how much money you have...some people have taken Gen 1 or Gen 2 GT3 motors plus Gearbox and put them in the back...lack of LSD is also an issue but can be upgraded with items from Cargraphic and other Porsche performance companies, plus the obligatory PCCB brake upgrade package and weight reduction body panels available.....

IMO, having owned a number of Porsches including Boxsters and 911's plus driven Caymans... there is a reason why the 911 continues to be so popular... thats because its a very very good everyday package, and once you understand them they are blindingly quick in capable hands

In fact after reading all the unfavourable reviews on the RS5 I ended up cancelling my order and getting back into a 997 S........

after all its good enough for 'The Walter!'

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

In fact after reading all the unfavourable reviews on the RS5 I ended up cancelling my order and getting back into a 997 S........
after all its good enough for 'The Walter!'

997 S manual ?
The tip isnt like the paddles in the Italians, not as good I think.

I've driven a few perhaps I should take another look.

Offline 986986

997 S manual ?
The tip isnt like the paddles in the Italians, not as good I think.

I've driven a few perhaps I should take another look.

Don't believe the hype....... I initially thought that as well, I live about 5km from the CBD on the water in Sydney and my commute is bumper to bumper most days (Victoria Rd for any Sydney readers!), sticking it in D and just going with the flow makes it just as comfortable as the Missus Q7

However once you get used to the tip buttons it becomes very natural..plus there is no lag or gearbox shunt when in D like you get in the Mas (looked at a GranSport as well)..... lastly IMO all the talk about tip vs manual is just a pub room pissing contest done by people who haven't actually driven either, I think in a real world contest traffic light to traffic light there is very very little in it..... as a daily driver its just perfect.... and when i want to give it the beans PASM, SPORTS mode and Manual engaged it is very quick on the move.... the last thing I personally want after a hard day at the office is to feel like I am strapping in for 24 hours at Le Mans overtime.... I am looking at a good GT2 or GT3 for that.

For what its worth Dodger try and get as much time with one.... i think you will like it, you need to use one for a day not just 1 hour around the block

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Don't believe the hype....... I initially thought that as well, I live about 5km from the CBD on the water in Sydney and my commute is bumper to bumper most days (Victoria Rd for any Sydney readers!), sticking it in D and just going with the flow makes it just as comfortable as the Missus Q7
However once you get used to the tip buttons it becomes very natural..plus there is no lag or gearbox shunt when in D like you get in the Mas (looked at a GranSport as well)..... lastly IMO all the talk about tip vs manual is just a pub room pissing contest done by people who haven't actually driven either, I think in a real world contest traffic light to traffic light there is very very little in it..... as a daily driver its just perfect.... and when i want to give it the beans PASM, SPORTS mode and Manual engaged it is very quick on the move.... the last thing I personally want after a hard day at the office is to feel like I am strapping in for 24 hours at Le Mans overtime.... I am looking at a good GT2 or GT3 for that.
For what its worth Dodger try and get as much time with one.... i think you will like it, you need to use one for a day not just 1 hour around the block

Thanks for the insight, I would think a 911 would be easier to maintain and be more reliable than a Masa too.

Hired a boxster for a day a while back, great little car, manual was no problem at all..........if it wasn't branded "chic" I would consider one or a Cayman.

Offline 986986

Servicing costs:

997 S

Minor: aprox $480 every year

Major: aprox $1100 every 3rd year

says it all really!

They can have a tendency to eat rear tyres although I have never experienced this issue... I have always much preferred Michelin Cup Pilots on all my Porsches......however preferred Pirelli P Zeros Rosso's on the RS4 and the F355 GTB I had.... happy to help where I can Dodger

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Servicing costs:
997 S
says it all really!
They can have a tendency to eat rear tyres although I have never experienced this issue... I have always much preferred Michelin Cup Pilots on all my Porsches......however preferred Pirelli P Zeros Rosso's on the RS4 and the F355 GTB I had.... happy to help where I can Dodger

Thanks again........

Offline RamSpeedAU

• RamSpeed.Com.Au

• Drives: European Cars ONLY
  • Name: RamSpeed.Com.Au
Servicing costs:

997 S

says it all really!

I believe Porsche dealer charges a lot more than $480 for a minor service on a 997 of any kind.
RamSpeed | Automotive Perfection
Supercharging | Turbo Upgrades | Exclusive European Parts & Upgrades

www.RamSpeed.com.au

ECU Tuning | Service | Maintenance

Offline 986986

I believe Porsche dealer charges a lot more than $480 for a minor service on a 997 of any kind.

Really??

Which version do you have, where do you get yours serviced?