Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Starting price is $300USD. Most of the examples built so far are around the $500k range.
I wonder what the situation would be tax wise if you shipped an australian 964 to the US for the "mechanical repairs" to be done, then shipped it back...

Yes, I get that singer charges a bomb...

But, theoretically, what would an MHH or a 360C pay for one of these here in Oz?

I suspect the answer is half of the number above.

C'mon, do it!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

If you want a Singer, you pay what they charge. $US400-500K plus cost of donor car. Plus taxes if you import. That's why we'll probably never see one here.

They aren't a resto. They are a new car built of carbon fibre with a remade engine and interior trim that would be beyond most craftsmen.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
My fantasy involves keeping it in LA or Vegas. Taxes would kill it here and the market would be tiny for resale.

I hope that they work out how to treat your illness.....

Once tried and proven I would like to under go a similar treatment.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I hope that they work out how to treat your illness.....

Once tried and proven I would like to under go a similar treatment.

Doctors are working on a cure. A bad run in the business will do the trick.

Offline Tiger

If you want a Singer, you pay what they charge. $US400-500K plus cost of donor car. Plus taxes if you import. That's why we'll probably never see one here.

They aren't a resto. They are a new car built of carbon fibre with a remade engine and interior trim that would be beyond most craftsmen.

Quite a few very talented craftsmen around that could do the same in OZ with the right insentive.
Roll on summer

Offline tdc911

Quite a few very talented craftsmen around that could do the same in OZ with the right insentive.
Autohaus Hamilton seems to be doing a lot of custom Porsche projects.
First Australian RWB build is happening in Melbourne next week (not a fan).

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Starting price is $300USD. Most of the examples built so far are around the $500k range.
I wonder what the situation would be tax wise if you shipped an australian 964 to the US for the "mechanical repairs" to be done, then shipped it back...

I've often had this thought myself, would be nice to get one over the Tax man for a change.

If you shipped it over in a container, and returned it the same way. I think you could easily get away with it.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

That's part of the reason I ask on what speculatively people would pay for a 'singer like' car here.

Like every car nut I trawl carsales when there's time, and it's interesting to see RS replicas, some of which are very well done rarely move beyond 60-80K.

The jump from that, to a $500K bespoke thing that still looks like a modded Porsche is a 'never happen here unless some crazy rich guy wants to prove a point' kind of story.
C'mon, do it!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

That's part of the reason I ask on what speculatively people would pay for a 'singer like' car here.

Like every car nut I trawl carsales when there's time, and it's interesting to see RS replicas, some of which are very well done rarely move beyond 60-80K.

The jump from that, to a $500K bespoke thing that still looks like a modded Porsche is a 'never happen here unless some crazy rich guy wants to prove a point' kind of story.

I used to think Singer was a Porsche tuner guy of some kind - until I saw the car up close. Staggering finish - brand new bits, like nothing I've seen. I'll probably never had one but of all the amazing cars at Goodwood, this one was hard to walk away from. Truly the work of an obsessed mind.

Buying and restoring an old 911 - or buying a finished jobbie - is real-world achievable. And an appealing thought.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

There are a lot of very, very talented guys here who can do this sort of work. You never see them advertise cos all the work they do is word of mouth. Some of the Hot Rod body builders are invite only as well. I have seen Hot Rod seats done in leather that are just as good as what's in these Singers.

It could be done here for a lot less but it will still cost a bit of money..........all of the conversion bits, engines, brakes, etc, etc can be purchased in the USA.