Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
I take it PDCC was never an option on the 997?

I was going to say PASM may have been similar but it sounds like PDCC is a completely different system.

But I like your approach regarding the order - less is more!

PASM (porsche active suspension management) standard on 997S essentially firms up shocks and changes the mapping of PdK gearbox in conjunction with chrono - we can discuss PASM plus as well....

PDCC new hydraulic dampers and actuators replace traditional shocks etc(Porsche dynamic chassis control) to counter the roll of vehicle (car corners flat with no chassis roll) thereby having greater contact patch with tyre and higher corner speed

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Dale from Porsche Centre Adelaide let me drive the 991 today.  It was a Carrera S PDK with buttons rather than paddles.  It was pretty much as I expected - since I've read every test in the known universe so far. Very smooth and quiet but it has a fantastic howl at higher revs.  The steering is different - accurate but not as talkative as the 997.  MUCH better ride and nicer handling.  Superb on the freeway with no noise from the rear tyres any more.  Yet it still feels like a 911.  Very nice if perhaps a little soft for my liking - the Turbo should be more my cup of tea.  But a fantastic car.

I took a photo but I've lost it.  Probably wouldn't be able to pick it out from a line up of white 911 pics over the years anyway. :p

nah GT3 will always be the winner over a Turbo :D

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
All very nice in terms of tech and outcome, but I think you definitely took the right choice not to spec the PDCC.

I'd imagine a 997 and especially a 991 without any "acronyms" fitted would be a rare bird indeed.

A Manual 997 with no acronyms is starting to look very attractive!
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

A Manual 997 with no acronyms is starting to look very attractive!

see comment above about GT3 :D

i miss my GT3 :(

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

nah GT3 will always be the winner over a Turbo :D

Well, the 991 is such a completely different car to drive than the 997, we'll have to wait and see.  The 7 speed manual isn't reviewing that well, and the PDK is outstanding so maybe a PDK GT3 is the one to wait for.

Seriously, this is such a different car to drive than the 997.  That was the big surprise for me today.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Driven it - ordered it - note ....I opted for no PDCC.......and no sunroof.....PDCC (Porsche Dynamic chassis Control) essentially is hydralic suspension which makes the car corner flatter - two things to note:
1. It takes away from the porche driving experience - it makes the experience remote
2. Althought the 991 is lighter than 991 with PDCC it makes the car heavier than the 997.......

My friendly dealer informs me he is not going to order any PDCC equiped cars as demo stock...just had a PCA vehicle......this issue also validates my thoughts on EVO's review...they blame the lack of feedback on PDCC as well...in summary its a $7900 option you dont need

If you are getting PDK, make sure you order paddles and not buttons.

Offline 986986

Well, the 991 is such a completely different car to drive than the 997, we'll have to wait and see.  The 7 speed manual isn't reviewing that well, and the PDK is outstanding so maybe a PDK GT3 is the one to wait for.

Seriously, this is such a different car to drive than the 997.  That was the big surprise for me today.

Agreed - like you I have owned a few Porsches - first one was a lovely 3.2 '89 G 50 gearboxed Carrera at 21 then 993's 996's, and now 997.1 and 997.2 S ....all by 35....oh plus the wife's Cayenne ;)

The 991 is a different car, we all understand this on paper - but you cant reference it unless you have owned/ driven these cars day in day out  - best reference of this I can think of is that people lament the air cooled cars and claimed Porche lost its character with the 996  ......well my view is that the world is very different to what it was 15 yrs ago on 993 and certainly different to 10 odd years ag when 996 showed up - of which 997 is an iteration of.....the world has moved on, manufacturers have moved the game on particularly AMG and Porsche has to do the same thing to remain relevant.

My commute is a pain in the arse (and I only live 5km from the CBD on the water) I have seen it get worse over the last 6 odd years ...I thought the 997 was a revelation over 996.......991 is a daylights ahead of my 997S and will make the commute even easier.

MHH - tyre noise!!!!!!! What a revelation.......in 991 gone!

For those interested here is my car:

The new 911 Carrera S A$263,100.00
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Platinum Silver Metallic
Partial leather sports seats in Yachting Blue (14 way)
20-inch Carrera S wheel
423 20-inch Carrera S wheel A$0.00
1H Platinum Silver Metallic A$0.00
EG Partial leather sports seats in Yachting Blue (14 way) A$0.00
636 ParkAssist (front and rear) A$890.00
P06 Fully electric Sports seats (14-way) with memory package A$0.00
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) A$5,950.00
640 Sport Chrono Package inc. dynamic engine mounts A$4,790.00
911 "911" badge model designation (replaces Carrera S) A$270.00
176 Sports exhaust system $5890.00

Offline 986986

If you are getting PDK, make sure you order paddles and not buttons.

interesting - had tiptronic on the 997S with rocker switches and got used to it  - did the same on my PDK .2 and am now used to it so not an issue for me....plus it doesnt confuse me in the Cayenne either as that has Multi funciton wheel like my 997  :thumbsup:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

interesting - had tiptronic on the 997S with rocker switches and got used to it  - did the same on my PDK .2 and am now used to it so not an issue for me....plus it doesnt confuse me in the Cayenne either as that has Multi funciton wheel like my 997  :thumbsup:

Fair point. My other cars have paddles, so I prefer them. Both the launch cars in Adelaide have buttons.

I did 3,000km in Europe last year in a 997.2 Carrera S PDK with buttons and didn't get on with them.

Offline 986986

Fair point. My other cars have paddles, so I prefer them. Both the launch cars in Adelaide have buttons.

I did 3,000km in Europe last year in a 997.2 Carrera S PDK with buttons and didn't get on with them.

Yeah understand were you coming from if your used to paddles.... agree with you there......frankly most of the time I shift the gearbox to the left for my + - shifts when having a go.......still feels right to me....honestly Porsche do so much so well but sometimes they leave you going WTF....paddles was a classic example if this in the early 997.2 PDK cars....and in 991 the sunroof leaves me going WTF........therefore I deleted it.....