Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Dale from Porsche Centre Adelaide let me drive the 991 today.  It was a Carrera S PDK with buttons rather than paddles.  It was pretty much as I expected - since I've read every test in the known universe so far. Very smooth and quiet but it has a fantastic howl at higher revs.  The steering is different - accurate but not as talkative as the 997.  MUCH better ride and nicer handling.  Superb on the freeway with no noise from the rear tyres any more.  Yet it still feels like a 911.  Very nice if perhaps a little soft for my liking - the Turbo should be more my cup of tea.  But a fantastic car.

I took a photo but I've lost it.  Probably wouldn't be able to pick it out from a line up of white 911 pics over the years anyway. :p

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Saw them through the window on Sunday - love the new look.

Re the steering...does it offer any fizz through the wheel at all? Or is it completely absent?

I guess the way I could relate is that with my Renaultsport Clio 172, the steering gives me information and is accurate.

When I test drove a GTi Golf, the steering was accurate with great turn in, but felt a little...removed from the action.

Is that a fair description of the new 991's steering?

JBO
The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline TomE

Dale from Porsche Centre Adelaide let me drive the 991 today.  It was a Carrera S PDK with buttons rather than paddles.  It was pretty much as I expected - since I've read every test in the known universe so far. Very smooth and quiet but it has a fantastic howl at higher revs.  The steering is different - accurate but not as talkative as the 997.  MUCH better ride and nicer handling.  Superb on the freeway with no noise from the rear tyres any more.  Yet it still feels like a 911.  Very nice if perhaps a little soft for my liking - the Turbo should be more my cup of tea.  But a fantastic car.

I took a photo but I've lost it.  Probably wouldn't be able to pick it out from a line up of white 911 pics over the years anyway. :p

How far is a MHH test drive?  Robe & Back ?  :D

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

How far is a MHH test drive?  Robe & Back ?  :D

Bridgewater/Carey Gully/Verdun/home.  If Dale wasn't in the passenger seat, who knows?  :D

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

When I test drove a GTi Golf, the steering was accurate with great turn in, but felt a little...removed from the action.

Is that a fair description of the new 991's steering?

JBO

Yep

Offline JBO

oh dear...
The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
Driven it - ordered it - note ....I opted for no PDCC.......and no sunroof.....PDCC (Porsche Dynamic chassis Control) essentially is hydralic suspension which makes the car corner flatter - two things to note:
1. It takes away from the porche driving experience - it makes the experience remote
2. Althought the 991 is lighter than 991 with PDCC it makes the car heavier than the 997.......

My friendly dealer informs me he is not going to order any PDCC equiped cars as demo stock...just had a PCA vehicle......this issue also validates my thoughts on EVO's review...they blame the lack of feedback on PDCC as well...in summary its a $7900 option you dont need

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

oh dear...

It probably steers as well as the 458, but it just doesn't wriggle like it used to.  I still love the car mind you - it is so much better in so many ways.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Driven it - ordered it - note ....I opted for no PDCC.......and no sunroof.....PDCC (Porsche Dynamic chassis Control) essentially is hydralic suspension which makes the car corner flatter - two things to note:
1. It takes away from the porche driving experience - it makes the experience remote
2. Althought the 991 is lighter than 991 with PDCC it makes the car heavier than the 997.......

My friendly dealer informs me he is not going to order any PDCC equiped cars as demo stock...just had a PCA vehicle......this issue also validates my thoughts on EVO's review...they blame the lack of feedback on PDCC as well...in summary its a $7900 option you dont need

Congrats.  :thumbsup:

Offline JBO

I take it PDCC was never an option on the 997?

I was going to say PASM may have been similar but it sounds like PDCC is a completely different system.

But I like your approach regarding the order - less is more!