Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
it would be of interest to get an opinion.

If you are on Facebook send me a PM with a link to your page and I will put you in touch with him.
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
is the 540 that much inferior?

Watch a few reviews, they all seem to suggest that the 570 is a better proposition and I would wager that it would have the better resale of the two McLaren models. I would also check the standard equipment levels of both of them as it would be highly likely that the 540 is spec'd and built down to a price with lots of "essentials" on the options list.

The best of the models for daily driver duties is the 570GT and that got rave reviews pretty much universally; but it is the highest priced model by some $30k before options.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

McLarens dont seem to haemorrhage in price going by whats currently on the market,

I'm not sure about that. My 650 dropped like a stone while the Speciale is still worth what I paid for it. The GT3 isn't a daily car in my book, so I'd go for the McLaren - if you don't mind losing more money when you sell it.  What about a 991 Turbo?

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
I'm not sure about that. My 650 dropped like a stone while the Speciale is still worth what I paid for it. The GT3 isn't a daily car in my book, so I'd go for the McLaren - if you don't mind losing more money when you sell it.  What about a 991 Turbo?

Thanks Mark, I've had my name down for yonks on the GT3, I can get is spec'd with club sport seats as I have enough race cars with race seats, the C4S is awesome in the mountains around Thredbo but never had a GT3 hence think its about time to take the plunge.....Doc will get the C4S and I'll buy back her 997.2 Carrera.....somehow in some macabre space I still love that car.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Thanks Mark, I've had my name down for yonks on the GT3, I can get is spec'd with club sport seats as I have enough race cars with race seats, the C4S is awesome in the mountains around Thredbo but never had a GT3 hence think its about time to take the plunge.....Doc will get the C4S and I'll buy back her 997.2 Carrera.....somehow in some macabre space I still love that car.

GT3 ruined me for everything else. Once you have one I doubt you would want a normal 911 again.

That said you have race cars so perhaps it may not be that exciting to you.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The GT3 is a great car but it is noisy with a lot of gear whine and jerky auto shifts. The suspension is stiff for a road car. But given the amount of time you spend in race cars, the thing will probably feel like a Lexus to you. :)
The sports seats are very comfy actually but slightly harder to get in and out of.

Offline TJB

Manuals might be pretty rare by the sounds of it. It'll be interesting to see if they end up being worth more down the track

http://www.caradvice.com.au/533032/2018-porsche-911-gt3-manual-back-but-customers-still-choosing-pdk/

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Manuals might be pretty rare by the sounds of it. It'll be interesting to see if they end up being worth more down the track

http://www.caradvice.com.au/533032/2018-porsche-911-gt3-manual-back-but-customers-still-choosing-pdk/

I'm not sure how long that logic holds up.

If more people are ordering PDK, then that's what future buyers are more likely to want as well. Maybe there'll be a few enthusiasts that'll pay a premium for manual, but if there's more than a few around then it'll still be competitive.

I love the current hope of buying retail and selling without tearing up any cash. Amazing when it happens, but people banking on it are pretty wistful.
C'mon, do it!

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Then that's what future buyers are more likely to want as well.

While I can concede that is fair logic I think it's flawed for the following reasons

1: new car buyers are often people who turn over more frequently and don't care about longer term maintenance expense etc

2:  people who do buy used cars are generally more "tight"  than a new car buyer and in turn more sensitive to expense so would likely chose the less expensive/risky maintenance option.

3: people who intend to keep the car for 10+ years are in the minority, yet more likely to buy the manual IMO  and therefore new cars they buy may not hit the market and used car buyers may find it harder to get stock demand vs supply

I know porsche's and ferrari's etc are usually pretty likely to be kept on the road, we are getting to a time where planned obsolescence  is built into most cars and there will come a time where many cars are just uneconomical to keep going.  I think a manual car is more likely to see the longevity over any  PDK , DSG ,  Egear., f1   etc

Just my $0.02 on the subject