Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

I don't get the whole hung up on value dilemma.  Current exotics cost the same or more than the 993 RS and most owners use them without too much stress over it. There is an Aventador for sale that has 35000 kms on the clock and its a 4 year old car that cost the best part of a million when new.
Perhaps my attitude comes from my old man. He paid $110k for a 275 GTB/4 in 1983 which was about the cost of a new 512BB at the time. He loved it and he used it a lot in all sorts of events from drive days to track events. Values started to rise a few years later and just before he died in 1989 he was offered $2 million for the car. He refused despite that being a life changing amount of money to him. He loved it and continued to use it in exactly the same manner regardless of the rising values.

Today I use my Speciale whenever and wherever I choose. I would love to be able to get the opportunity to put 50,000 kms on it despite the fact it would cost a fortune in retained value. I couldn't imagine lying on my death bed saying to myself "Gee I wish I hadn't used that Speciale so much, I might have made another $100k". You're dead a long time and it's experiences that you remember,  not money. 
You love your 993 RS, so just use and enjoy it I reckon.
well said.One of the issues why some collectors don't use there high net worth classic's is they under insure the cars,shame but each to there own.

Amazing how the 275/4 was worth that much in 1989,just shows how much they can come back in value then rise again.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
well said.One of the issues why some collectors don't use there high net worth classic's is they under insure the cars,shame but each to there own.

Amazing how the 275/4 was worth that much in 1989,just shows how much they can come back in value then rise again.
The late 80ís/early 90ís car bubble was before my time so correct me if Iím wrong but it would appear that it was the mother of all car bubbles and the current bubble or uptrend is not even close to what happen during the 80ís/90ís.

Just looking back at what $2M could have bought you in 1989 real estate wise in Australia or London and what current classics are doing you would think we could have some way to go.

Offline tdc911

Interesting comment that Ray D made regarding the price he paid for the 275 GTB/C.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Interesting comment that Ray D made regarding the price he paid for the 275 GTB/C.
about 4K....what a great car.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
The late 80ís/early 90ís car bubble was before my time so correct me if Iím wrong but it would appear that it was the mother of all car bubbles and the current bubble or uptrend is not even close to what happen during the 80ís/90ís.

Just looking back at what $2M could have bought you in 1989 real estate wise in Australia or London and what current classics are doing you would think we could have some way to go.

Current bubble is different as only classics are rising. In the 80's pretty much everything including new exotics went nuts.

In some areas of the current market prices are far ahead of 1989. In other areas like mass produced exotics they are all over the place. An LP400 is a $2 million car; but its contemporary competitor the BB has only just reached 89 levels.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

about 4K....what a great car.

Used it as a daily driver for a while as I recall.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Current bubble is different as only classics are rising. In the 80's pretty much everything including new exotics went nuts.

In some areas of the current market prices are far ahead of 1989. In other areas like mass produced exotics they are all over the place. An LP400 is a $2 million car; but its contemporary competitor the BB has only just reached 89 levels.
So is it going to burst?

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Used it as a daily driver for a while as I recall.
yep who was the broker that put it into the wall at Winton Chris....................Minogue did the engine up in it for Ray.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

$2 million bought a real Toorak mansion in 1989. The car today would be about $4.5 million or more and the Toorak mansion would be $15 to $20 million.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

crazy stuff ,mind you I never followed it much ,all seemed to be happening overseas,as by that time most of the great cars had already left Australia.